How do you make a course S/U (Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory)?

A: To change the grade type of a course to Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory you need to fill out 2 different forms: an add/drop form to change your grade type, and an S/U policy form. It is recommended that you consult your advisor before changing one of your classes to S/U as there could be consequences to this decision that you may have not considered.

↑ Back to top

How do you drop a class?

A: You can drop a class using Gibson Online up until the Last Day to Drop with record provided you remain enrolled in a minimum of 12 credits (exceptions made for students in their final semester).

You should consult the current Academic Calendar and adhere to drop dates ( If you drop a class after the last day to drop without record, you will receive a “W” on your transcript. You can talk to your advisor about the potential ramifications of doing this.  

↑ Back to top

How do you find out who your advisor is?

A: If you don’t know who your advisor is you can look at your degree audit, call the front desk at 504-865-5798 to find out, or stop in the Advising Center Room 102 and ask a student worker to look it up for you.

↑ Back to top

Why do I have a different advisor this year?

A: Advisors are assigned to students based on their primary major. If you switched your major recently, it’s possible you were reassigned to another advisor who specializes in your new school. Additionally, as with any office, we have new staff members starting and occasionally staff members leaving, and in an effort to balance caseloads among advisors, sometimes students are shifted to other advisors.

↑ Back to top

I have pressing issues to discuss, but my advisor doesn’t have any available appointments for the next few weeks. What can I do?

A: If your advisor isn’t immediately available and you have pressing questions, you should try emailing your advisor or stopping in to see the Advisor of the Day, in Room 102 in the Advising Center.

↑ Back to top

How do you declare a major and when do you need to do this?

A: You must declare your major before the end of your sophomore year, but you are welcome to do so earlier. To declare your major, you need to pick up a major declaration form from the front desk in Room 102 in the Richardson Building or from your advisor.

You bring the Major Declaration Form to your Department. Academic departments may handle major declarations a little differently so it is important to ask them about their process. This process will include meeting with a major or faculty advisor to discuss your requirements, collecting their signature and the department chair’s signature. You can return your completed form to the Academic Advising Center, Room 102. 

↑ Back to top

How can I meet with a pre-health or pre-law advisor?

A: You can meet with a pre-health or pre-law advisor by going to the following website to make an appointment:

↑ Back to top

Who should I see for assistance in planning classes in your major?

A: You need to see your faculty advisor for help in planning classes in your major. If you haven’t declared yet, check with your academic advisor. Your advisor can refer you to the department that you are curious about.

↑ Back to top

What is the difference between double majors and dual degrees?

A: To earn a double major, you must complete only one set of core requirements for the school that your primary major is housed in, in addition to your secondary major requirements.

For a dual degree, you must complete the core requirements for both of the schools your major is housed in. For example, if you earn a Dual Degree in Psychology and Philosophy, you must complete the School of Science & Engineering’s core requirements in addition to the School of Liberal Arts’ core requirements. You also must complete 150 credits (as opposed to 120), 88 of them above the 1000 level (as opposed to 66 above the 1000 level).  You can talk to your advisor about whether it would be wise for you to pursue a dual degree or not.

↑ Back to top

Can I repeat a class?

A: Pursuant to the Newcomb-Tulane policy about repeating courses, if you earn a D-, D, or D+ in a course you can repeat this course. When you repeat the course, your initial grade and your retake grades will be averaged together in your cumulative gpa, and both grades will appear on your transcript. You won’t receive credit for a repeated course unless you failed the course initially. You should be enrolled in a full semester (12 credits) in order to repeat a course, in addition to the repeated course.  See all academic policies here: 2016-2017 Catalog/Policies

↑ Back to top

I want to take a summer class at home. Will the credits count towards my Newcomb-Tulane College degree?

A: You must meet with your advisor to determine your eligibility to take courses over the summer. If you are eligible, your advisor will determine whether the school(s) you have in mind are acceptable and if so, will give you the required paperwork and refer you to departments for specific course approvals.

↑ Back to top

Will I have time to study abroad?

A: Newcomb-Tulane College encourages all who wish to study abroad to do so. Meet with your advisor to determine if this would make sense for you in your current degree plan and if so, when would be an ideal time for you to study abroad.

Once you meet with your academic advisor, you should also meet with a study abroad advisor ( and your major advisor(s). 

↑ Back to top

How do I get on the Dean’s List?

A: The Newcomb-Tulane College Dean’s List is prepared after each semester and recognizes superior academic achievement. A 3.500 grade-point average is required of first-year students and sophomores and a 3.667 GPA is required of juniors and seniors. To qualify for the Dean’s List, a student must have been enrolled in 14 credits of letter-graded work, excluding courses taken on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory basis.

↑ Back to top

How do I access my degree audit?

A: To access your degree audit, log in to Gibson online with your Tulane email and password. From the Student Tab, go to the bottom of the page and select “Degree Audit.” Select "Current Degree Program Audit" and click the "Submit" button.

For more information about how to read your degree audit, schedule an appointment with your advisor, and consult the following website:

↑ Back to top

How do I access my transcript?

A: The Registrar’s Office handles transcript requests. You may order electronic and/or mailed transcripts through the “Order A Transcript” link in Gibson Online.

↑ Back to top

How do I graduate with honors?

A: Beginning in Fall 2013, all Latin honors at Tulane are awarded on the basis of GPA alone. (The Honors Thesis and Honors courses are no longer be required for high Latin honors.) Students achieving GPA in the top 30% of the class will receive Latin honors according to the following:

Summa cum laude = top 5% of the class.
Magna cum laude = next 10% of the class.
Cum laude = next 15% of the class.

The precise GPA standards will be calculated based on the grades of the previous class; these standards will be advertised to students each the summer.

Please read more about the Honors Department’s rules and regulations here:

↑ Back to top

How do I calculate my GPA?

A: The grade-point average (GPA) is determined by dividing the student’s total number of quality points by the total number of quality hours. Quality hours are all credits for which a letter grade was earned. This excludes transfer credit, AP and IB credit, and courses taken for a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) grade type. Quality points are the sum of each course grade (on a 4-point scale) multiplied by the course credit hours. Example: B+ in ENGL 1010, a four-credit course, is worth 13.332 quality points (B+ = 3.333 quality points x 4 credits = 13.332 quality points) Graduation requires a 2.000 grade-point average, equivalent to an average grade of C, in all courses as well as in the major. Newcomb-Tulane College GPA Calculator (This tool is UNOFFICIAL)

↑ Back to top

102 Richardson Building, Tulane University, New Orleans, LA 70118 504-865-5798