Angela Gregory, the daughter of the late William B. and Selina Bres Gregory, was born October 18, 1903, in New Orleans. Her mother was a Newcomb potter and her father taught engineering at Tulane for 44 years. She was graduated from the Katherine Bres High School, the Art School of Newcomb College (1925), and the Tulane School of Architecture (1940).
After graduation from Newcomb, Miss Gregory was awarded a scholarship to the Parson's School in Paris and Italy. From 1926 to 1928, she was the pupil of the great French sculptor, Antoine Bourdelle, in his private studios as well as at l'Academie de la Grand Chaumiere. When she returned to New Orleans, she opened the studio that she has maintained for over 60 years while building an international career.
A distinguished artist, Miss Gregory is one of only three women sculptors in the United States credited with three public monuments. In addition to her professional career, she has taught at various points in her life at Newcomb and St. Mary's Dominican College. During the 1940's she also was deeply involved in war and community efforts.
She began that decade by serving as State Supervisor for the Work Project Administration (WPA) Art Program, promoting and coordinating art statewide. In 1942-43 she worked as Assistant Engineer (Architectural) for the Corps of Engineers, New Orleans District, designing camouflage and overseeing construction of all models in connection with the camouflage of New Orleans military installations. During 1943-44, she served as Women's Counselor at Pendleton Shipyards in New Orleans, and from 1944-1946, she was Personnel Counselor at The Celotex Corporation. She also served as instructor at the War Training Center at Tulane in 1944-45.
Her ouevre includes: architectural sculpture, murals and decorations; portraits busts; memorials/portraits in bas-relief; plaques; medallions; and 14 commemorative medals. Highlights of her career include her sculpture on the Criminal Courts Building in New Orleans and the Capitol in Baton Rouge and her assistance in the restoration in 1932 of "La Tour Caree" in the village of Septmonts, France. Her Sesquicentennial Battle of New Orleans medal was struck in silver and bronze and was reproduced on a U.S. postage stamp in 1965.
At Tulane, her work is familiar to everyone connected with the University, including: the Seal of Tulane University, drawn in collaboration with the late Dr. John McBryde; architectural sculpture on Hutchinson Memorial, McAlister Auditorium, and the Law School building; the William Benjamin Gregory Medal (Class of 1918 Award in Engineering); the Paul Tulane Society Medal; the Eleanor and William Burkenroad Award medal; a portrait of Brandt van Blarcom Dixon at Newcomb; the Selina E. Bres Gregory Memorial, Woodward Way and Irby plaques.
She has received numerous awards and fellowships; a partial list includes: the Mary L.S. Neill Water Color Medal from Newcomb (1924); a B'nai B'rith outstanding achievement award for her cultural contributions (1958); St. Mary's Dominican College Medal "For Distinguished Service" (1977), Chevalier de l'Orde des Arts et des Lettres (1985); Honor Award by the School of Urban and Regional Studies, University of New Orleans (1985) for contributions to the City of New Orleans and involvement in establishing the Louisiana Landmark's Society. She is a past recipient of the Outstanding Alumna Award from the Tulane School of Architecture, and in October 1986 Newcomb presented her with a Centennial Award.
Alumni Relations, Tulane University, 6319 Willow Street, New Orleans, LA 70118 504-865-5901 email@example.com