Green Light New Orleans
8203 Jeannette St.
New Orleans, Louisiana 70118
Directions To Agency:
Primary Phone: (504) 324-2429
Primary Agency Contact
Name: Rebecca Fisher-McGinty
Agency type: Non Profit
Beginning date for service:01/05/2008
does not carry
worker's compensation insurance.
Agency has a need for additional volunteers.
Green Light New Orleans is looking to send out volunteers and service learners to install light bulbs to help meet our goal of 90,000 CFLs per year. We are also looking for interns to increase community outreach, coordinate volunteers, and manage our social media outlets.
Working with Green Light New Orleans is a once in a lifetime experience. Green Light provides the opportunity to meet real New Orleans citizens in their own homes. You cannot experience the real New Orleans without meeting the people that make up this truly unique city.
Green Light New Orleans invests energy in people by assisting New Orleans residents in-person, one household at a time. Our volunteers install free energy efficient light bulbs and backyard vegetable gardens to demonstrate that a mass movement of individual actions creates a significant impact on our environment and community. We connect New Orleans residents to relevant, local opportunities and encourage individual actions so that everyone can benefit from a vibrant, resilient, and sustainable community.
Division Mission Statements
- Campus-Community Partnerships To spread the word about environmental responsibility and easy ways to reduce CO2 emissions while reducing energy costs to young, motivated individuals.
- Environmental Nonprofit To reduce CO2 emissions in New Orleans and begin a grassroots discussion about energy efficiency and environmentalism.
- Volunteer/Intern To actively make a change in the community by the simple act of changing light bulbs and to contribute to the capacity building and sustainability of a non-profit which is concerned with the environment and it community members alike.
Populations Served by Agency
- All populations
- We serve all populations, though our free program focuses on modest income residents and close to 70% of our applicants are female, and at least 60% of participants are elderly.
Topics Of Interest for this agency
- Affordable, Sustainable Energy
- Civic Engagement
- Climate Change
- Community Building
- Community Organizing
- Data Analysis
- Energy Efficiency
- Environment and Disaster Recovery
- Food Security
- Public Health
- Social Entrepreneurship
- Social Networking
- Website Development
Public Service Needs
- Administering and processing data of a customer survey.
- Create art for/with community residents
- Conduct best practices research
- Maintain communication with agency clients
- Conduct comparative research
- Collect data
- Develop a new database or contribute content to an existing database
- Conduct engaged research
- Raise funds
- Create a map identifying the location of information of interest
- Provide administrative assistance
- Organize an outreach event
- Distribute outreach material
- Student will research online databases and corporate websites for private and public grants for non-profit educational programming.
- Develop training material
- Develop a new website or contribute content to an existing webpage
Resource Needs for this agency
- Access to computers for students
- Access to phones for students
- community support, volunteers, monetary resources
- Funding for recovery projects
- Grant Writing
- help with existing website problems
- Media development
- Publicity and Fundraising
- Research, outreach, coordination
Services Provided by Agency
- Energy regulatory, energy efficiency & global warming expertise
- Grassroots Advocacy