Admission Requirements for MS-DRL The Disaster Resilience Leadership Academy has rolling admissions, with students entering the academic program in the fall, spring, and summer semesters.
Applications can be requested by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please see the Tulane University, Office of the Registrar for information regarding the Tulane University Academic Calendar.
The DRLA Faculty Steering Committee evaluates all applications for admission in the graduate program. Admission decisions take into account undergraduate and graduate courses and grades, letters of recommendation, a personal statement of purpose, and GRE scores. International students must also submit TOEFL or IELTS scores to substantiate English language proficiency. Prospective applicants are encouraged to communicate with the program faculty via phone and/or email and secure answers to any questions they might have regarding the program. When feasible, a face-to-face meeting and campus tour may be arranged. Admission to the Program is based on a matrix assessment that takes the following elements into account.
- Applicant's undergraduate and graduate (if applicable) record
- Official GRE test scores (taken within the past 5 years)
- Academic and/or professional recommendations
- International students only: Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). We also accept the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) in lieu of the TOEFL examination
- If applicable, employment and other relevant experiences, including any relevant courses that did not result in degree credit
Required Admissions Material
Applications for admission to the DRLA program are accepted on a rolling basis:
- Fall semester deadline: August 1
- Spring semester deadline: December 1
- Summer semester deadline: May 1
- Completed Tulane University DRL Graduate Program Application
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate-level institutions. Required minimum: an undergraduate degree from an accredited university. Recommended GPA: 3.0 minimum (on a 4.0 scale) For transcripts in a language other than English, please provide a certified English translation with an explanation of the grading system directly to the program at the above address
- Official reports from Graduate Record Exam (GRE). Official GRE test scores must be taken within the past 5 years and should be sent directly from the Educational Testing Service (ETS) to the Disaster Resilience Leadership Academy: GRE Designated Institution (DI) Code 6993
- Statement of Purpose
- Three letters of recommendation from academic and professional sources
- Curriculum vitae (CV) or résumé
- Application Fee of U.S. $45, made payable to Tulane University. (Fee is waived for AmeriCorps and Peace Corps Alumni).
- Foreign students only: Non-US citizens applying for admission must present satisfactory evidence of sufficient competence in English to read, write, speak and understand. The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score report is required for each applicant whose native language is not English or if English was not the language of instruction at the institution where the applicant received his or her degree(s). Required minimum: 600 (paper version); 120 (computer based version); or 95 (internet based version). Official TOEFL test scores must be sent directly from the Educational Testing Service (ETS) to the DRLA Program via the Tulane School of Social Work, the code is: 6183. We also accept the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) in lieu of the TOEFL examination. For information about these exams, see http://web1.toefl.org
All application materials, with the exception of the GRE, IELTS, and TOEFL score reports, should be mailed in one envelope to:
Disaster Resilience Leadership Academy
Tulane University - School of Social Work
1555 Poydras Street, Suite 716
New Orleans, LA 70112