WHAT YOU SHOULD DO
- If you discover a fire remember the acronym ESCAPE: Evaluate the situation, Secure the immediate area by removing personnel, Close the doors to the room or area, Activate the building fire alarm, Phone TUPD that there is an emergency, Extinguish the fire as appropriate.
- If you smell or see smoke or fire, activate the nearest fire alarm, if the alarm is not activated automatically.
- Call Tulane Police emergency line. Tulane Police Emergency Numbers are:
- Tulane National Primate Center Police emergency: 985-871-6411
- Tulane Downtown Campus Police emergency: 504- 988-5555
- Tulane Uptown Campus Police emergency: 504-865-5200, or pick-up the nearest emergency blue-light phone.
- Other Campuses: Call 911
- Tell the TUPD dispatcher your name.
- Give the TUPD dispatcher the exact location of the fire and any other relevant information you have.
- Do not attempt to fight the fire yourself unless you have been trained in the use of firefighting equipment and it is safe to do so.
- Evacuate the building, close doors behind you to contain the fire and proceed to the assembly area designated in the building's EAP. Exit via stairwells only. Do NOT attempt to use elevators.
- Exit quickly and calmly; do not attempt to take anything with you.
- Assist disabled persons or others who may need assistance. If you can not assist others direct emergency personnel to them.
- Do not let the fire and heavy smoke come between you and an exit. Choose an alternate route if fire and heavy smoke is in your path.
- If caught in heavy smoke, take short breaths, crouch down or crawl as close to the floor and wall as possible.
- If the fire or smoke keeps you from exiting the building, go to a room far away from the fire, shut the door, open or break a window and signal for help by waving an article of clothing or making loud noises. If possible, try to seal the bottom of the door with an article of clothing (jacket, etc.) to prevent smoke from entering the room.
- Once outside a safe distance from the building, or at a designated assembly area, return to the building only when instructed to do so by TUPD or other emergency personnel.
WHAT WILL HAPPEN
- TUPD will immediately dispatch officers to the scene.
- TUPD Dispatch will activate the Tulane Facilities Services, NO Fire Department, Tulane EMS and NO EMS, as necessary.
- TUPD will establish on-scene command and coordinate all responding agencies.
- Once the actual fire or fire alarm is resolved, TUPD will give the “all clear” to re-enter the building or give other directions.
- If necessary, the Tulane emergency alert system will be activated with instructions to stay away from the building that is on fire.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON EVACUATION PLANS FOR EACH BUILDING ON CAMPUS VISIT:
Emergency Action Plans
⇐ back to EMERGENCY PROCEDURES