WHAT YOU SHOULD DO
- Report all releases or spills of hazardous materials that you may observe to Tulane Police. Tulane Police Emergency Numbers are:
- Tulane National Primate Center Police emergency: 985-871-6411
- Tulane Downtown Campus Police emergency: 504- 988-5555
- Tulane Uptown Campus Police emergency: 504-865-5200, or pick-up the nearest emergency blue-light phone.
- Other Campuses: Call 911.
- Tell the TUPD Dispatcher your name.
- Tell the TUPD Dispatcher the exact location of the spill or release.
- If possible, give the source, character, amount and extent of the material spill/release.
- Notify the TUPD Dispatcher if there are any injuries associated with the incident.
- Shut windows, turn off open flames and open hoods in the area, if possible. Do NOT risk your personal safety.
- Stay a safe distance away from the material that has been released or spilled.
- Keep others from entering the area.
- Wait for TUPD officers and emergency responders to arrive and direct them to the release/spill area.
WHAT WILL HAPPEN
- TUPD will activate Tulane Facilities Services and the Office of Environmental, Health and Safety (OEHS) to respond to the incident.
- TUPD will evacuate the area or the building if necessary.
- If the incident is large or cannot be controlled, TUPD will activate the New Orleans Fire Department for assistance, and EMS if necessary.
- If the incident is large or threatens other areas of campus, the Tulane emergency alert system will be activated with instructions to stay away from the area of the release.
- Tulane OEHS and/or NOFD will manage the cleanup and decontamination of the area.
⇐ back to EMERGENCY PROCEDURES