School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine

Information for International Students

Unfortunately, Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine Financial Aid Office has no federal financial aid, assistantships, scholarships or tuition waivers for international students; however, each academic department has a limited amount of scholarships and grants to award to all incoming students.  There are no special applications as the departments use the SOPHAS application. We highly recommend that you check an internet site called eduPASS which may lead you to possible sponsoring agencies, scholarship programs or other private loan programs.

Normally, other than your own government, the only aid that international students can obtain is private credit based student loans. Several private loan programs are available to you, provided that you have a credit-worthy co-signer or co-applicant who is a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident of the U.S.

**NEW LAW-Effective February 14, 2010
As a result of the Truth in Lending Act (TILA) of 2009, borrowers will be required to submit a Private Education Loan Applicant Self-Certification to their lender before funds can be disbursed. Your lender will provide you with this form when you apply for the Private Alternative loan. You can also locate the Self-Certification form online at

Please keep in mind that due to these new requirements, your Private Alternative Loan disbursement may be delayed as required by this new law.

The following is a list of Tulane's streamlined lenders. It is your decision to determine which lender best fits your needs. Students are encouraged to view each lender's web site and review the benefits offered. General comparison information may be found on Tulane's Lender List pages located on ELM SELECT.  Each lenders disclosure statements are on this site as well.

There are only two steps for international students seeking loans and they are:

  1. Persons seeking loans for the 2017-2018 academic year should complete the following application; 2017-2018 School Public Health Public Health Financial Aid Addendum.
  2. Apply for your private loan directly to the lender that you have chosen. However, do not apply for a loan any sooner than 5 months before your first day of classes because if you do, the loan may expire before it can be processed and you'll have to apply again.

Below is a list of lenders that offer loans to international students.
However, you are not limited to these lenders.

Citizens One
Telephone: 1-800-721-3969

Discover Private Loan
Telephone: 1-877-728-3030

MPOWER Financing (No co-signer requirement)
Telephone: 1-202-417-3800

Sallie Mae Smart Option Loan
Telephone: 1-877-279-7172

Wells Fargo
Telephone: 1-800-658-3567

If you are interested in any of these programs, we recommend that you begin the application process early. Since these loans are credit-based, the agencies must perform detailed credit evaluations on the co-applicants and the process can take several weeks (or even months) to complete. Please note that students are responsible for finding their own co-applicants. Tulane personnel cannot help you obtain a co-signer.

We hope that you find this information to be a useful tool in your search for graduate school funding. Good luck and thank you for your interest in Tulane.


Health Sciences Financial Aid, Tulane University, New Orleans, LA 70112 504-988-6135