School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine

Financial Aid Deferments

In order to place your existing Federal Direct Loans and/or Federal Perkins loans in an “in-school” deferment status, the lender/servicer needs to be notified that you are enrolled in school. You should contact the lender/servicer of your loan(s) and ask them how you should proceed because this is handled in different ways by different lenders.

Many lenders participate in an automatic notification system via the National Student Clearinghouse (The Clearinghouse). Tulane reports student enrollment to The Clearinghouse. Therefore, any lender/servicer who uses The Clearinghouse would automatically be notified of your enrollment via this process, thus triggering an automatic “in-school” deferment status on your existing loans. This represents a “paperless” deferment process.

For lenders/servicers NOT using The Clearinghouse, you most likely will need to:

  1. Obtain an “in-school” deferment form from your lender/servicer;
  2. Have the form completed by the Tulane University Registrar's Office.
  3. Have the completed form returned to your lender/servicer.

Be sure to identify what is necessary for each and every one of your prior loans. This may require that you contact your prior school regarding prior Federal Perkins loans.


Health Sciences Financial Aid, Tulane University, New Orleans, LA 70112 504-988-6135