FAQ for Undergraduate Majors in Political Science


Q:  How do I declare a major or minor in Political Science?

A:  The Undergraduate Advisor will assign your major advisor and sign the major declaration form. All forms (major declaration, transfer credits, etc.) are available at the Advising Center

Q:  Who should I talk to about counting study abroad credits toward my major or minor?  

A:  The Undergraduate Advisor will assign major and minor credit after your return.  Before departing, it is a good idea to consult with your faculty advisor or the Undergraduate Advisor about what courses you need to complete the major.  Please save all course syllabi from your courses abroad.

Q:  What are the requirements for the political science internship program?

A:  You must be a rising junior or senior political science major with a 3.0 cumulative GPA. Interns are required to complete 60 hours of unpaid service at an approved site and attend a weekly academic seminar concurrently with their internship.  You must submit an application and other relevant documents PRIOR to commencement of your internship.  The application and other information can be found here:

Q:  I've already done an internship for which I would like to receive credit.  How do I do that?

A:  You may not receive credit without prior acceptance into the Public Service Internship program.  Applications for spring internships are due in early December, summer internships in early April, and fall internships in early August.  Information on program deadlines can be found here:


Q:  I've found an internship for next semester/summer.  Can I get Political Science credit for it?

A:  Probably.  As long as you submit the internship application by the required due date, the organization is approved by CPS, and you meet the program requirements, you may receive political science internship credit.

Q:  I've already fulfilled my service-learning requirement.  How do I receive credit for an internship without the public service component?

A:  Our internship is a public service internship program.  Credit is not given for non-public service internships.

Q:  I would like to do an internship but I don't have one.  Can the Department of Political Science assist me with internship placement?

A:  Yes.  The Center for Public Service maintains dozens of relationships with organizations that regularly offer internships.  Upon submission of your Public Service Internship application (link), CPS can help you find an internship that matches your interests and experience.

Q:  Will my internship count as one of my two required 400 level political science courses?

A:  No.  Although you receive POLS 4560 credit for your internship, it does not count as one of your required 4000 level courses. It will, however, count towards the required 30 credit hours.

Q:  Can I complete more than one internship for POLS credit?

A:  No.  You can only get credit for one internship.

Q:  What sort of off-campus housing options are there in New Orleans?

A:  Living off-campus is a wonderful way to experience New Orleans. This Housing Guide can help you find a safe place near campus or in one of New Orleans many historic neighborhoods.  


Tulane University, Political Science Dept, 316 Norman Mayer Bldg, New Orleans, LA 70118 504-865-5166