Injury and Illness Reporting


Employees who suffer any work-related injury/illness (even if it is minor and medical care/treatment is not provided) must report the incident to their supervisor immediately and complete a First Report of Occupational Injury/Illness form. (The form is provided on the OEHS home page.) Supervisors are responsible for signing the form and assisting with the incident investigation. If the injury is serious, call Tulane Police immediately. Tulane Police will call 911 if deemed necessary.

Phone numbers for Tulane Police or other emergency responders vary depending on the facility. Check your facility’s emergency plan for important details.

If the injury is not serious or life-threatening but still requires medical attention, the employee should proceed to the nearest clinic/hospital or to their personal physician for evaluation and treatment. A copy of the First Report of Occupational Injury/Illness should be taken to the medical care facility. Registration personnel should be informed that the visit is work-related and is covered by Workers’ Compensation. Personal health insurance should NOT be used for treatment of work-related injuries.

Note:  A copy of the completed First Report of Occupational Injury/Illness must be submitted to the Tulane Worker's Compensation Office in Workforce Management Organization, 200 Broadway Street, Suite 120, New Orleans, LA 70118-3572 (, Fax: (504) 865-6796/Direct No. (504) 247-1716) within 24-48 hours of the incident. The claim cannot be processed unless the form is filled out completely (both pages) and is on file in the Tulane Worker's Compensation Office. Delays in reporting could jeopardize Worker's Compensation benefits.


Immediately notify Tulane Police of any injury or illness involving visitors.


In case of medical emergency, on-campus students should call Tulane Police; off-campus students should call 911. Students who suffer an injury or become ill should report to the Student Health Center (SHC) for evaluation and treatment. If the injury or illness is related to on-campus activities or an unsafe condition in a University building or on Tulane property that may require follow-up by OEHS, SHC personnel should have the student complete a Student Report of On-Campus Environmental Injury or Disease form which can be found on the OEHS website.

If the injury occurs during classroom activities, the course instructor should be notified immediately and a Student Report of On-Campus Environmental Injury or Disease form should be completed by the course instructor. A copy of the report should be forwarded to the OEHS immediately regardless of whether or not the student reports to the SHC.

2015 OSHA's Form 300A, Summary of Work-Related Injuries and Illnesses

This summary must be posted for all employees from February 1st to April 30, 2015

OSHA's 2016 Workplace Poster Revised 1/28/2016 (pdf)

Workers' Compensation Compliance Poster Revised 2/05/2015 (pdf)