The mission of the Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine is to advance public health knowledge, promote health, and well being, and prevent disease, disability, and premature mortality. This is accomplished through academic excellence in education of public health professionals, rigorous scientific research of public health problems, creative partnerships to advance the practice of public health, and innovative service to the local, national, and international public health community.
- Provide educational opportunities that prepare graduates to identify, resolve, and prevent public health problems and to manage health related programs.
- Advance public health knowledge by facilitating conduct of rigorous scientific investigations of public health and related medical issues and by encouraging dissemination of the results of this research.
- Improve the health of communities through collaborative public health approaches aimed at disease prevention and health promotion.
Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine is dedicated to development of outstanding professionals who will address public health problems in the next millennium. The school is committed to:
- Nurturing our students. We provide a collegial and stimulating environment for didactic and practical learning experiences that foster professional development.
- Maintaining a collaborative environment. We recognize the importance of our diverse backgrounds and the unique learning opportunities provided by our multi-cultural environment and multi-disciplinary faculty.
- Advancing diversity within our student body, faculty, and staff. We value a diverse learning environment that fosters cultural, racial, ethnic, and global contributions to public health.
- Fostering excellence in teaching, research, and the practice of public health. We emphasize scholarship sustained by a learning environment that encourages interaction, mentoring, and lifelong learning.
- Preserving academic freedom. We endorse the right to exercise academic freedom and recognize the enriching nature of unconventional views and minority opinions.
- Promoting interaction with the community. We work with communities and community leaders to improve the public's health in local, national, and international arenas.
- Fostering a progressive attitude. We are adaptable, creative, and open to innovative approaches in teaching, research, and the practice of public health.
- Establishing and maintaining a collegial atmosphere. The faculty, staff, and students are compassionate, supportive, and devoted to furthering the goals and mission of the school and public health.
- Promoting high ethical standards. The faculty, staff, and students value personal and professional integrity. Our daily activities are based on this responsibility and reflect a commitment to these core values.