GEHS 7240 - Applying Systems Thinking to EH&S, 3 credits
This course presents the application of systems thinking principles to address strategic occupational health, safety and environmental management (OHSEM) messes. The course covers the nature of OHSM systems; learning and adaptation; the differences between administration, management and leadership; a detailed understanding of Interactive Planning as applied to OHSM; the nature of change; leadership mindsets; and the competencies that distinguish superior performance.
Course Learning Objectives
The student will be able to:
- Apply systems thinking principles to OSHM messes and understand that OSHM systems consist of a set of systemic processes designed to accomplish organizational purposes.
- Implement the processes that are needed to bring an idealized OSHM system into reality.
- Recognize the tenets that are required for an OSHM system to learn and adapt.
- 4Illustrate how and describe why a systems approach would be an exceptional way to address and/or take advantage of major developments in OSHM management.
- Employ proven project management processes and skills to OSHM strategic management projects.