GEHS 7260 Financial Aspects of EH&S, 3 credits
This course is designed to teach the principles of financial management to graduate health and safety professionals. At the completion of this course students will have a working knowledge of financial concepts and tools used in most business and governmental organizations. Special emphasis will be placed on defining the benefits and costs of health and safety management systems in the financial terms that are routinely used and understood by business leaders. Students will become proficient in understanding how to develop a business case in order to justify health and safety investment recommendations. Students will successfully complete a team based project that will utilize a software program designed to efficiently manage the process of developing a health and safety business case.
Course Learning Objectives
The student will be able to:
- Understand basic financial management concepts and tools.
- Learn how to present the benefits and costs of health and safety investments.
- Evaluate existing models for analyzing safety and health investment strategies.
- Become proficient in the Return on Health, Safety and Environmental Investment (ROHSEI) software.
- Understand how make a business case to justify health and safety investments.