Joseph Justin Contiguglia, MD
Professor of Clinical Environmental Health Sciences
Department of Global Environmental Health Sciences
Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
1440 Canal Street, Suite 2100
New Orleans, LA 70112
Phone: (504) 988-4629
Fax: (228) 872-7047
The application of good science, operational analysis, and infrastructure planning in the development and implementation of effective operational models for disaster management; development and implementation of effective guidelines and standards for disaster response
- Elected to Delta Omega Honor Society, Eta Chapter, 2006
- Tulane University SPHTM, Champion of Public Health, 2005
- US Department of Justice Award for Public Service, 2004
- Flight Surgeon of the Year, USAF, 1979
- Flight Surgeon of the Year, Pacific Air Forces, 1979
- Fellow, American College of Preventive Medicine
- Fellow, Aerospace Medical Association
- Fellow, Royal Society of Medicine (London)
Military decorations include:
- Defense Meritorious Service Medal
- Meritorious Service Medal 5 OLC
- Aerial Achievement Medal
- Air Force Achievement Medal
- Combat Readiness Medal
- National Defense Service Medal
- Southwest Asia Service Medal
- Kosovo Campaign Medal 2 OLC
- Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
- Global War on Terrorism Medal
- Korean Defense Service Medal
- Humanitarian Service Medal 3 Devices
- BA, sociology, Columbia College, New York City
- MD, University of Siena, Siena, Italy
- MPH&TM, tropical medicine, Tulane University, New Orleans, Louisiana
- MBA, operations management, St. Mary's University, San Antonio, Texas
- Residency in Aerospace Medicine, USAFSAM, Brooks AFB, Texas.
- Residency in Internal Medicine, Cabrini Medical Center, NYU
- Board Certification, American Board of Preventive Medicine
- Board Certification, American Board of Medical Management
- Board Certification, Certifying Commission in Medical Management
Contiguglia JJ. Counterterrorism incident command. CD. South Central Center for Public Health Preparedness, Tulane University, 2004.
Contiguglia JJ. WMD terrorism: dealing with risks and consequences. Five course CD. South Central Center for Public Health Preparedness, Tulane University, 2004.
Voge VM, Rosado NR, Contiguglia JJ. Sickle cell anemia trait in the military aircrew population: a report from the military aviation safety subcommittee of the aviation safety committee. Aviation Space & Environmental Medicine: 62(11), 1099-1102; Nov 1991.
Contiguglia JJ. AIDS: RAAF personnel bulletin. Canberra, A.C.T., Australia: 87/1:2-6, Jan 1987.
Bayliss GJA, Bickmore JC, Contiguglia JJ. Report of the joint working party on AIDS. Canberra, A.C.T., Australia: Australian Defence Force Internal Publication, 1986.
Contiguglia JJ, ed. The flight surgeon's checklist. 2nd ed. San Antonio, Texas: Society of USAF Flight Surgeons, Feb 1982.
Contiguglia JJ. The epidemiology of gastric carcinoma in the province of Siena. Tesi di Laurea. Siena, Italy: University of Siena, Jun 1975.
In addition to his position as clinical professor in environmental health at Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, Dr. Contiguglia is a member of the teaching faculty of the South Central Center for Public Health Preparedness & South Central Public Health Leadership Institute. He additionally serves as a consultant on public health and homeland security to the state departments of health of Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Arkansas and the City of New Orleans. He has recently served on the ASPH Collaboration Groups for Chemical/Radiation Preparedness Education and Pandemic Influenza and is a member of the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals (LA DHH) Pandemic Influenza Clinical Forum, The LA DHH Medical Special Needs Shelter Task Force and the LA DHH Public Health Block Grant Advisory Committee.
Level of Instruction:
[View all EHS faculty]