Kenneth K. Orie, Dr. CL
Assistant Professor of Clinical Environmental Health Sciences
Department of Global Environmental Health Sciences
Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
1440 Canal Street, Suite 2109
New Orleans, LA 70112
Phone: (504) 988-2767
Fax: (504) 988-1726
Environmental policy and management; public health law & global health regulations; international-environment law and management systems
- Member, Delta Omega National Honorary Society in Public Health
- Law Foundation of British Columbia Fellowship Award, 1988-1989
- Consultant on water resources legislation, Kenyan Government, 1993-1995
- Consultant on hazardous waste and substance management, GRI Environmental, LLC, 2006 – present
- "Legal consultant on U.S. regulatory standards for environmental occupational diseases/hazards, and regulatory aspects of occupational surveillance for 'The Occupational Health Surveillance and Diagnosis Research Project' by Shandong Academy of Occupational Health and Occupational Medicine under the auspices of the Chinese Center for Diseases Control and Prevention, 2011 - present
- Louisiana State Bar Association Pro Bono Honor Award, 2004
- Member, American Public Health Association (APHA)
- Member, Louisiana State Bar Association (LSBA)
- Member, International Union for the Conservation of Nature- Commission on Environmental Law (IUCN-CEL)
- Dr.C.L. (Ph.D.), McGill University, Montreal, Canada.
- L.L.M., University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada.
- B.L., Lagos, Nigeria
- LL.B. (J.D.), University of Benin, Nigeria
View Dr. Orie's publications at his NCBI profile page.
INVITED LECTURES/SPECIAL COURSES:
1. "Hurricane Katrina and Policy Development: Effects of the Storm", Satellite Conference and Live Webcast, Montgomery, Alabama, March 14, 2006. The South Central Public Health Training Center.
2. "Preparedness, Public Health Policy and Law" Online courses for The Center for Applied Environmental Public Health, Tulane University SPHTM with The South Central Public Health Training Center, July 7, 2006
– consisting of the following modules:
"Preparedness and Response "– Module 1
"Law of Public Health Preparedness" – Module 2
"Safeguarding Environmental Media: Part 1: Air" – Module 3
"Safeguarding Environmental Media: Part 2: Water" – Module 3
"Wetlands Management" – Module 4
"Land Use Practices and Safe Building" – Module 5
"Sanitation and Waste Management: Part 1: Sanitation" – Module 6
"Sanitation and Waste Management: Part 2: Waste Management" – Module 6
Orie, Kenneth K (2009) "Making Sustainable Environmental Health a Core Objective of Land Use Planning & Governance in the City of New Orleans" (True Urbanism: Cities for Health and Wellbeing Conference , Portland Oregon, May 10-13, 2009 organized by the International Making Cities Livable - IMCL)
Lichtveld, Maureen and Orie, Kenneth K. (2007), "Making Science Work for Environmental Public Health Policy: Revisiting Sustainable Development Imperatives for Clean Air and Safe Energy." Presented at the APHA Conference, Washington, D.C., November 3 – 7, 2007
Orie, Kenneth K (1999) "Sustainable International Trade and Environmental Protection in Sub-Saharan Africa" (Tulane's ADST Colloquium Series).
Orie, Kenneth K. (1995) "EIA Law and the Environment." Presented at the Moi University School of Environmental Studies EIA Seminar held at the Silver Springs Hotel, Nairobi, September 18-22, 1995.
Orie, Kenneth K. (1995) "Implementing Agenda 21 Principle on Human Settlement through Kenya's Land Use and Urban and Regional Planning Law." A paper presented at a Workshop on the Implementation of Agenda 21 on the System of Urban and Regional Planning in Kenya, organized and sponsored by UNEP/ROA, the Government of Netherlands through the University of Amsterdam, and Moi University School of Environmental Studies, Eldoret, held at Silver Spring Hotel, Nairobi, Kenya, March 27-29, 1995.
Orie, Kenneth K. (1995) "Legal Approach to Environmental Quality Change of Lake Victoria and the Implication for the Water Resources of the Nile." A paper presented at NILE 2002 Conference held at Arusha, Tanzania, February 13-16, 1995.
Orie, Kenneth K. (1994) "Impact of Changes in Land Tenure and Land Use Patterns on Environmental Conservation in the Lake Victoria Basin, Kenya: A Legal Perspective." A paper presented at a Meeting on Conservation of Biodiversity and Sustainable Development in Lake Victoria Basin, Imperial Hotel, Kisumu, Kenya, August 23-27, 1994.
Orie, Kenneth K. (1994) "Environmental Law and Environmental Impact Assessment." A paper presented at the Moi University School of Environmental Studies' EIA Seminar, Highway Motel, Limuru, Nairobi, Kenya, June 19-27, 1994
Dr. Orie has international training and work background. He has been teaching and practicing environmental law and policy since 1993, bringing to his students a wealth of academic and practice experience in his field. Dr. Orie uses practiced case studies to aid his students in understanding how science informs policy and how policy may enable scientific discovery, gaining competency in both environmental health policy issue dynamics and issue resolutions. He has supervised a doctoral dissertation and a number of master's theses in environmental health policy here at TUSPH&TM, and at the School of Environmental Studies, Moi University, Kenya.
Dr. Orie has published a number of articles in peer reviewed journals, and a book chapter. He provided consulting services to the government of Kenyan on water resources legislation, and participated in a working group for developing a national environmental framework legislation for Kenya in 1995.
Dr. Orie's research focuses on appropriate policy and system approach for creating and delivering sustainable environmental public health.
Level of Instruction:
[View all EHS faculty]