Roy Rando, ScD
Department of Global Environmental Health Sciences
Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
1440 Canal Street, Suite 2100
New Orleans, LA 70112
Phone: (504) 988-3870
Fax: (504) 988-1726
Etiology and epidemiology of occupational and environmental lung disease; exposure assessment and environmental characterization; industrial hygiene chemistry
- Editorial Board, Journal of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene, 2004-present
- Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), American Board of Industrial Hygiene, 1983-present
- Champion of Public Health, Tulane University, 2001
- Listed in Who's Who in Science and Engineering, 1996-1998
- Delta Omega Public Health Honor Society, 1983
- Frank MacDonald Outstanding Student Award, Department of Environmental Health Sciences, Tulane University School of Public Health
- American Academy of Industrial Hygiene
- American Chemical Society, Division of Chemical Health and Safety
- American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists
- American Industrial Hygiene Association
- ScD, environmental health science, Tulane University, New Orleans, Louisiana
- MSPH, environmental health sciences, Tulane University
- BS, chemistry, University of New Orleans
View Dr. Rando's publications at his NCBI profile page.
Dr. Rando teaches in the topical areas of air sampling and analysis, exposure assessment, physical agents in the workplace, industrial ventilation, and occupational health. Since 1994, he has been the Academic Director of the MSPH program in industrial hygiene. Under Dr. Rando's leadership, the program has been fully accredited by the American Board of Engineering and Technology (ASAC of ABET) since 1998.
Dr. Rando is an internationally-recognized expert on the industrial hygiene and hazards of isocyanates in the workplace. With over 50 publications in the peer-reviewed literature, he has a proven record of research in occupational and environmental respiratory disease, often accomplished as a Principal or Participating investigator on multidisciplinary research teams of faculty from within the Department, the School, the Health Sciences Center, the University, as well as from other institutions of higher learning. Currently, Dr. Rando's research focus is on the assessment and epidemiology of respiratory disease and exposures among industrial wood processors, and lung cancer, silicosis, and renal disease risk in industrial sand workers. Dr.
Rando has had a variety of international academic and practice experiences. Under the auspices of the Schweitzer Institute for the Humanities and the Open Society Institute, Dr. Rando delivered lectures on occupational lung disease to local academicians, public health officials, and medical officers in Skopje, Macedonia and Bratislava, Slovakia. He is a consultant on an epidemiologic investigation of leukemia and occupational benzene exposure in Shanghai, PRC. Dr. Rando has served as faculty opponent (primary dissertation examiner) for the Department of Work Environment and Analytic Chemistry, University of Stockholm, in Hassleholm, Sweeden.
Level of Instruction:
[View all EHS faculty]