To receive the MD/PhD in Public Health, students must fulfill all requirements for graduation from both schools before the graduation deadline.
School of Medicine Curriculum
- Required School of Medicine coursework—in the School of Medicine
- Completion of Clinical Rotations
- Completion and Passing of USMLE Steps 1 & 2
Some courses in School of Medicine will be considered on a case by case basis for credit towards Public Health course work. Please discuss with the SPHTM department advisor.
All students must pass USMLE Steps 1 & 2 prior to graduation from the MD/PhD in Public Health Program.
School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine Curriculum
In addition to completing their School of Medicine curriculum, MD/PhD in Public Health students must also complete the following requirements:
- Required public health coursework—including required core and programmatic courses—in the School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine (SPHTM)
- Comprehensive exam
- Dissertation Research (defense and completion)
- Additional departmental requirements: each department has specific requirements regarding the programmatic and elective courses. Some departments may have additional requirements: students can verify these with their SPHTM departments.
Students should verify all requirements with their School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine department and should make contact with their advisors each semester to verify their progress toward their degrees.
Financial Aid Information
Application Deadline: February 15th
Standardized Test Requirement: MCAT acceptable
Link to PhD website: http://www.sph.tulane.edu/publichealth/tropmed/phd.cfm