Master of Science in Public Health in Industrial Hygiene
Program: Industrial Hygiene
Department: Global Environmental Health Sciences (GEHS)
Industrial hygiene is the profession that anticipates, recognizes, evaluates, and controls workplace conditions to prevent injury or illness in workers. Industrial hygienists use environmental and workplace monitoring and analytical methods to identify exposures and estimate risk and use engineering, work practices, and protective equipment to control potential health hazards. The MSPH in Industrial Hygiene provides the knowledge and skills to identify workplace hazards, comply with government regulations, and manage occupational exposures and risk. The program is ABET-accredited and graduates receive one year of credit towards the experience requirement to sit for the exam to become a board-certified industrial hygienist (CIH, American Board of Industrial Hygiene).
The Tulane MSPH program in Industrial Hygiene is supported by a Training and Education grant awarded by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH). Students in the MSPH – IH program are eligible to apply for a NIOSH traineeship which may provide partial tuition support and stipend. For further details on the NIOSH training program, contact Program Director Dr. Roy Rando.
Students applying to the Master of Science in Public Health in Industrial Hygiene program must meet the school's admission requirements.
In addition to the school's admission requirements, the department requests the following from applicants:
Graduates of the program must complete a minimum of 45 credit hours, consisting of:
The practicum provides an opportunity to apply skills learned in the classroom.
School Core Requirements (15 credits)
- GCHB 6030 Social & Behavioral Aspects of Global Health (3)
- BIOS 6030 Introductory Biostatistics (3)
- EPID 6030 Epidemiologic Methods I (3)
- GHSD 6030 Introduction to Health Systems, Management and Policy (3)
- GEHS 6030 Survey of Environmental Health (3)
Requirements for Industrial Hygiene program (30 credits)
- GEHS 6600 Principles of Toxicology (3)
- GEHS 7620 Environmental Health Risk Assessment (3)
- #GEHS 7000 Environmental Health Seminar (0)
- GEHS 6540 Occupational Health (3)
- GEHS 6720 Principles of Industrial Hygiene (3)
- GEHS 7500 Air Sampling & Analysis (3)
- *GEHS 6620 Physical Agents & Ergonomic Hazards in the Workplace (3)
- *GEHS 7110 Industrial Ventilation & Chemical Hazard Control (3)
- *GEHS 6390 Radiological Health (3)
- *GEHS 6700 Principles of Safety (2)
- *GEHS 7310 Occupational Laws and Compliance (2)
- Elective - Chosen in consultation with academic advisor (2)
# Required for on-campus students only.
* Some courses may be offered in the distance learning format.
The practicum is designed to provide students with practice experience related to their field of study. The practicum is a minimum of 200 hours at a governmental, industrial, or commercial site or practice setting under the direction of a preceptor. A practicum report summarizes the field experiences. The practicum requirement may be waived for those students who have had appropriate practice experience as outlined in the practicum handbook. Learn more in the Practicum Handbook.
All students at Tulane SPHTM must complete a Culminating Experience. Industrial Hygiene students will prepare a public health analysis to fulfill this requirement. Learn more about the Culminating Experience by downloading the Culminating Experience Handbook, which includes information about student options and required forms.
In addition to completing the public heath analysis, students pursuing the MSPH in Industrial Hygiene must successfully pass the program's industrial hygiene comprehensive exam. Those students who attain the ABIH certification (CIH) prior to graduation are eligible for waiver of the program comprehensive exam.
1440 Canal Street, Suite 2100, New Orleans, LA 70112, 504-988-5374 email@example.com