Tulane Arts in Medicine got its start in the Tulane Cancer Center’s Patricia Trost Friedler Center for Psychosocial Oncology in May 2010. Since its implementation, AIM has grown tremendously and is now offered to patients across Tulane Medical Center. Offerings change regularly.
Please check calendars for the updated schedule of the following programs. Private sessions can be scheduled with an artist-in-residence by appointment. Please call the Arts in Medicine office at (504) 780-6830.
Infused with Creativity: Cancer Center
- Artists-in-Residence roam the Infusion Suite offering coloring, crafts, conversation and card-playing.
Music in Medicine: Cancer Center
- Musicians stationed in various areas of the Cancer Center provide music and music-related games for patients.
Music Mends: Cancer Center & Pediatric Outpatient Clinic
- Medical student musicians provide music and music-related games to patients.
Creative Clinic: Pediatric Outpatient Clinic
- Artists-in-Residence offer arts and crafts to patients in Hem/Onc and color with children awaiting appointments in the lobby.
Music Therapy Sessions: Pediatric Inpatient
- Certified Music Therapist visits children in inpatient rooms, PICU and the Bone Marrow Transplant Unit to conduct sessions focused on music play/exercise, sensory stimulation, songwriting and more.
Art Cart: Pediatric Inpatient
- Artists-in-Residence visit children in inpatient rooms, PICU and the Bone Marrow Transplant Unit with arts and crafts projects. Art Packs: Hospital-wide, upon referral (teen & adult long term patients only)
- Leave-behind gifts containing a variety of art supplies and creative activities.
Art On Call: Hospital-wide, upon referral
- An artist-in-residence will visit with a patient in any unit within the hospital upon referral for crafts and conversation.
Med-top Mosaics: Hospital-wide (staff)
- Beautification initiative that recycles the colorful tops of medicine vials into unique works of art to be displayed throughout the hospital.
Workshops & Events: Hospital-wide
- Fine Art demonstrations teaching the basics of a wide variety of artistic disciplines. Past workshops have included Portrait Photography, Silk Painting, Beaded Jewelry, Bookbinding, and Suminagashi (Paper Marbling.) Events, such as 2012’s Hope-Colored Glasses act as both a social gathering for staff and a fundraiser for the program.
Recreation Therapy: Stroke Rehab at Tulane Lakeside
- Artists-in-Residence work with the nurses and therapists of the unit to provide arts and craft projects to the patients that help to continue their rehabilitation exercises in a fun and creative manner.
The following programs are not currently running, but keep on the lookout, they may be returning!
Art While You Wait: Cancer Center
- Creative activities available in the Cancer Center’s lobby to help pass the time as the patient awaits their appointment.
Creative Wellness: Cancer Center
- Support group that explores how art can relate to the cancer journey, facilitated by an Art Therapist.
Cancer Support Group/Healing Journals: Cancer Center
- Arts in Medicine teamed up with the Cancer Center’s psych department to explore the role of “Healing Journals” in the cancer journey.
Music Therapy Sessions: Cancer Center, TATU, BMTU
- Music Therapists visits patients in the Bone Marrow Transplant Unit, Abdominal Transplant Unit and Infusion Center to conduct sessions focused on music play/exercise, sensory stimulation, songwriting and more.
Art Rounds: TATU, BMTU
- Artists-in-Residence visit patients in the Bone Marrow Transplant Unit and the Abdominal Transplant Unit with crafts and conversation.
Laughter Yoga: Hospital-wide (staff)
- Explore the power of Laughter as Medicine during this rejuvenating and hilarious lunchtime treat.