During this 6-week experience, students will have an opportunity to join a community-based Family Practice and to learn about primary care practice through a structured, yet "real world" clinical experience with a mentor. Students will live in the community and largely adopt their preceptor's schedule. This clerkship offers students a unique variety of opportunities different from other third-year clerkships including:
- working one-on-one with an experienced physician mentor, typically without other students or residents.
- experience in the type of ambulatory setting where a majority of the nation's health care is delivered. Students often have the opportunity for follow-up and continuity of care with ambulatory patients over several visits, and many of these patients have years and generations of continuity relationship with the preceptor.
- the challenge of seeing presenting signs and symptoms that are often vague, undifferentiated, and early, as well as patients presenting with multiple needs.
- daily repetition in history taking, the focused physical exam, and common procedural skills.
- a rural emphasis at many sites.
- service as ambassadors, through professionalism and contributions to the host practice and community, reflecting on Tulane throughout the region.
1430 Tulane Ave, New Orleans, LA 70112 firstname.lastname@example.org