Dr. Lehrer received his bachelor of science degree from Upsala College and a Ph.D. at Temple University School of Medicine. He completed his post doctoral fellowship at Scripps Clinic and Research Foundation in the Department of Experimental Pathology. Dr. Lehrer received the Cum Laude Scholarship Research Award for Research on Shrimp Allergens from the National Fisheries Institute, The Certificate of Merit from the Institute of Food Techologists and the Divisional Lectureship on Seafood Allergy from the Institute of Food Technologists.
Dr. Lehrer is on the editorial board and reviewer of the International Archives of Allergy and Immunology and has been an editorial board member and reviewer for the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, as well as Clinical Reviews in Allergy, Seafood Allergy. He is, or has been, a member of over 25 Federal, National and International Committees including NIAID Food Allergy Study Group, International Union of Immunological Sciences Allergen Standardization Committee, American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology Adverse Reaction to Foods Committee and the Allergen Standardization Committee (Chair), FDA Allergenic Products Advisory Committee (Chair), the Food Biotechnology Subcommittee of the FDA Food Advisory Committee, the National Academy Scientific Standing Committee on Biotech, Food & Fiber Production and Environment. Dr. Lehrer lists over 400 peer-reviewed publications and abstracts (including 64 on seafood allergy) to his credit, and has given over 65 lectures worldwide.
- Sikora M, Aresery M, Cartier A, Wild L, Lehrer SB. Chapter 21. Occupational reactions to food allergens. In: 4th edition of Food Allergy: Adverse Reactions to Foods and Food Additives. Blackwell Publishing, Metcalfe DD, Sampson H, Simon R (eds), March 2008, pp 632.
- Horner WE, Armstrong M, El-Dahr J, McCants M, Reese G, Kobernick AK, Lehrer SB. Prevalence of IgE reactivities in mold-allergic subjects to commercially available fungal enzymes. Allergy & Asthma Proceedings 2008;29;629-635.
- Hassett CC, Horner WE, Levetin E, Wild LG, Davis WE, Lehrer SB, Lacey J. Fungi as Allergens, Chapter 46. In: Allergy & Allergic Diseases, 2nd ed., Kay AB, editor, Blackwell Publishing, 2008.
- Aresery M, Cartier A, Wild L, Lehrer SB. Chapter 21. Occupational reactions to food allergens. In: 3rd edition of "Food Allergy: Adverse Reactions to Foods and Food Additives. Blackwell Publishing, Metcalfe DD, Sampson H, Simon R, editors, 2003, pp 270-295.
- Villacis J, Rice TR, Bucci LR, El-Dahr JM, Wild L, Demerell D, Soteres D, Lehrer SB. Do shrimp allergic individuals tolerate shrimp-derived glucosamine? J Clin Exp Allergy 2006;36(11):1457-1461.
- Lehrer SB. Gill BV, Venkatesh P, Cartier A, Horth-Susin L, Jong M, Swanson M, Neis B. IgE antibody reactivity of snow crab (sc) processing workers to crab allergens in snow crab meat (raw & cooked) and water extracts. Mini-Symposium on Occupational Allergy and Asthma among Seafood Processing Workers (Part 3 of 3 linked sessions): Pathophysiological mechanisms, allergen identification, diagnosis and treatment. School of Public Health, University of Cape Town, South Africa, June 5, 2006.
- Lehrer SB, Bannon GA. Risks of allergic reactions to biotech proteins in foods: Perception and reality. Allergy 2005;60:559-564. Lopata AL, Jeebhay MF, Reese G, Fernandes J, Swoboda I, Robins TG, Lehrer SB. Detection of fish antigens aerosolized during fish processing using newly developed immunoassays. Int Arch Allergy Immunol 2005;138:21-28.
- Reese G, Viebranz J, Leong-Kee SM, Plante M, Lauer I, Randow S, Moncin MS-M, Ayuso R, Lehrer SB, Vieths S. Reduced allergenic potency of VR9-1, a mutant of the major shrimp allergen Pen a 1 (tropomyosin). J Immunol 2005;175(12):8354-8364.
- Burks W, Lehrer SB, Bannon GA. New approaches for treatment of peanut allergy: Chances for a Cure. Clinical Reviews in Allergy and Immunology 2004;27:191-196.
- Lehrer SB. Genetic modification of food allergens. Food Allergy Supplement in Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology 2004;93:S1-S7.
- Lehrer SB, Oberhoff SW, Tanaka LG, Reese G, El-Dahr JM, Wild LG. Immunoblotting studies of DBPC corn challenged subjects to identify clinically relevant corn allergens. (poster) J Allergy Clin Immunol 2009;123(2):S183
- Lehrer SB, Gill BV, Venkatesh P, Cartier A, Horth-Susin L, Jong M, Swanson M, Neis B. IgE antibody reactivity of snow crab (sc) processing workers to crab allergens in snow crab meat (raw & cooked) and water extracts. SafetyNet Conference, St. Johns N.F., 2006.
- Jeebhay MF, Robins T, Malo JL, Lin X, Seixas N, Lehrer S, Bateman E, Baatjies R, Miller M, George D, Russford E, Smuts M, Lopata A. Risk factors for occupational allergy and asthma among fish processing workers in South Africa (abstract). Conference on Research on workplace health and safety: from the core to the margins - mini symposium on occupational allergy and asthma among seafood processing workers. Memorial University, St. Johns, Newfoundland/Labrador, Canada, June 2006.
- Reder MW, Wild LG, El-Dahr JM, Villacis J, Demerell D, Soteres D, Bucci L, Lehrer SB. IgE antibody activity of shrimp allergic subjects to inhalant and food allergens. Presented at the AAAAI meeting in San Antonio, TX, March 20, 2005. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2005;115(2 Suppl):S92.
- Villacis JF, El-Dahr JM, Wild L, Demerell D, Soteres DF, Bucci LR, Lehrer SB. Shrimp derived glucosamine is well-tolerated in shrimp allergic individuals. Presented at the AAAAI meeting in San Antonio, TX, March 2005. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2005;115(2 Suppl):S92.
- Gill BV, Cartier A, Horth-Susin L, Jong M, Swanson M, Neis B, Lehrer SB. Identification of snow crab proteins that elicit IgE reactivity in snow crab processing workers. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2003;111(2):2:71 #106.
- Gaudry P, Lehrer SB, Roux K, Teuber S. IgE and IgG antibody responses to walnut and cashew allergens in orally immunized mice. Published in Proceedings of XI International Food Allergy Symposium, sponsored by ACAAI, New Orleans, LA, November 6, 2003, Presented at ACAAI Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA, November 7-12, 2003. Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology 92(1):49 #135.