The History of Tulane Ophthalmology
Dr. James Harrill Allen
Dr. James Harrill Allen (1906-1992) was recruited by Dr. Clark as the first full-time academician to head the Tulane Ophthalmology Department, becoming Chairman in 1953. He remained Chairman for 18 years, until 1971. He definitely was a full-time teacher, as he had Grand Rounds with residents on Sunday mornings, at which time he would personally examine all indigent eye patients admitted to Charity Hospital. He expected residents to know the medical condition of their patients and how a systemic disease might relate to eye disease.
The year prior to coming to Tulane, Dr. Allen had introduced a new form of medical meeting at the University of Iowa. He put on an intensive four-day review of a single subject, in this case strabismus. After coming to New Orleans, Dr. Allen organized in 1951 a similar such meeting in New Orleans, a four-day review of Medical Treatment and Ophthalmology. This meeting was to become the New Orleans Academy of Ophthalmology. Incidentally, the meeting back in Iowa was the beginning of the American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus (AAPOS).
1430 Tulane Ave, New Orleans, LA 70112 email@example.com