The History of Tulane Ophthalmology
Residency Training Begins
During Tulane’s Lecturer phase, physicians pushed for additional instruction following graduation. In 1858, a group of practitioners formed the New Orleans Polyclinic, which became the third medical post-graduate school in the United States. By 1906 the Polyclinic had become the Post-graduate Medical Department of the College of Medicine of Tulane University, marking the beginning of formal residency training at Tulane Medical School.
Dr. Henry Dickson Bruns (1859-1933), the first professor of ophthalmology was one of the city’s leading ophthalmologists. (Photo circa 1915).
1430 Tulane Ave, New Orleans, LA 70112 email@example.com