Andrea Zsombok, PhD
Phone: (504) 988-2597
Room #: 4010
PhD: University of Pecs, Pecs, Hungary, 2002,
Research Interest :
My major research interest is to understand how the brain is affected by diabetic conditions and how the central nervous system is involved in the regulation of different visceral functions including glucose homeostasis. Our investigations are conducted in hypothalamic and brainstem slices using in vitro patch-clamp electrophysiological, immunocytochemical, and molecular biological techniques.
- Kayoko Miyada, PhD – Postdoctoral Fellow
- Sierra M. Butcher - Graduate student
- Courtney A. Nugent - Undergraduate Student
- Samantha D. Sagaser - Undergraduate student
- Jiang Y, Gao H, Krantz AM, Derbenev AV, Zsombok A. Reduced GABAergic inhibition of kidney-related PVN neurons in streptozotocin-treated type 1 diabetic mouse. J Neurophysiol; 110(9):2192-202, 2013.
- Jiang Y, Zsombok A. Regulation of neurons in the dorsal motor nucleus of the vagus by SIRT1. Front Neurosci, 7:270, 2014.
- Zsombok A . Vanilloid receptors - do they have a role in whole body metabolism? Evidence from TRPV1. J Diabetes Complications. E-publish: 2013 Jan 15.
- Gao H, Miyata K, Bhaskaran MD, Derbenev AV, Zsombok A. Transient receptor vanilloid type 1-dependent regulation of liver-related neurons in the paraventricular nucleus of the hypothalamus diminished in the type 1 diabetic mouse. Diabetes. 61(6): 1381-90, 2012.
- Zsombok A, Bhaskaran MD, Gao H, Derbenev AV, Smith BN. Functional plasticity of central TRPV1 receptors in brainstem dorsal vagal complex circuits of streptozotocin-treated hyperglycemic mice. J Neurosci. 31:14024-31, 2011.
- Zsombok A, Gao H, Miyata K, Issa A, Derbenev AV. Immunohistochemical localization of transient receptor vanilloid type 1 and insulin receptor substrate 2 and their co-localization with liver-related neurons in the hypothalamus and brainstem. Brain Res. 1398:30-9, 2011.
- Zsombok A, Smith BN. Plasticity of central autonomic neural circuits in diabetes. Biochem Biophys Acta. 1792:423-31, 2009.
Recent Publications: A PubMed listing of research publications for Andrea Zsombok, Ph.D.