T. Cooper Woods, PhD
Phone: (504) 988-2588
Room #: 4008
PhD: University of Alabama at Birmingham, 1998
Research in my laboratory aims to elucidate the impact of co-morbidities such as Diabetes Mellitus and Chronic Kidney Disease on the progression of cardiovascular disease. A focus of this research is toward understanding the molecular mechanisms underlying the increased intimal thickening seen in the diabetic population. These studies are currently examining the how the presence of diabetes promotes the acceleration of vascular smooth muscle cell proliferation and migration, two components of intimal thickening, through increases in specific microRNAs. Additional projects focus on the development of biomarkers for the identification of patients at high risk for cardiovascular disease and complications following angioplasty.
- Daniel Lightell, Jr. – Medical Research Technician
- Daniel J. Lightell, Jr., Stephanie C. Moss, T. Cooper Woods. Loss of Canonical Insulin Signaling Accelerates Vascular Smooth Muscle Cell Proliferation and Migration Through Changes in p27Kip1 Regulation, Endocrinology, 152: 651 – 658, 2011.
- Stephanie C. Moss, Daniel Lightell, Jr., Steven O. Marx, Andrew R. Marx, T. Cooper Woods. Rapamycin regulates endothelial cell migration through regulation of the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor, p27Kip1. J. Biol. Chem., 285 (16):11991-11997, 2010.
- Stephanie C. Moss, Daniel Lightell, Jr., Richard Deichmann, T. Cooper Woods. Sera from Diabetics does not Alter the Effect of mTOR Inhibition on Smooth Muscle Cell Proliferation. J. Cardiovascular Pharm., 53 (1):86-89, 2009.
- Paul F. Stahls, Daniel J. Lightell, Stephanie C. Moss, Corey K. Goldman, T. Cooper Woods. Elevated Serum Bone Morphogenetic Protein 4 in Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease and Coronary Artery Diseas. J Cardiovasc Trans Res, In Press.
- Karine Oumouna-Benachour, Chetan P Hans, Yasuhiro Suzuki, Amarjit Naura, Rahul Datta, Souad Belmadani, T. Cooper Woods, Hamid Boulares, PARP-1 Inhibition Reduces Atherosclerotic Plaque Size and Promotes Factors of Plaque Stability in ApoE-Deficient Mice: Effects on Macrophage Recruitment, NF-kappaB Nuclear Translocation, and Foam Cell Death. Circulation, 115 (18):2442-50, 2007
Recent Publications: A PubMed listing of research publications for T. Cooper Woods, Ph.D.