Urology Health Guide
Tulane Residency Program
POLICY ON SELECTION
Resident applicants are chosen based upon criteria established by the American Board of Urology.
Tulane Urology Residency Program requires that the student graduate from an accredited Medical School, followed by completion of one year of general surgical training. It is expected of all resident applicants that the general surgical training be completed through the General Surgery Department at Tulane University. Prior research experience and requirements can be accommodated as per American Board of Urology guidelines.
Following adequate completion of one year of general surgery, which Tulane University, Department of General Surgery, will provide, an additional four years of urologic training is required.
2017 RESIDENCY MATCH
The 2017 residency application process will open in September of 2016. Tulane Urology's two interview days will be on Saturday October 22, 2016 and Saturday October 29, 2016. Tulane accepts applications through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). Please register with ERAS to apply. For further information contact Ms. Demi Robert via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone (504) 988-2794.
Tulane Urology participates in the Residency Match program. One year of general surgery rotation in the Department of Surgery at Tulane is an expectation, followed by four years in the Department of Urology.
1. Andrology, Infertility, and Urologic Prosthetics (for ED): Tulane Urology has traditionally had a very strong presence in these areas. This section is led by Dr. Wayne JG Hellstrom. Residents get an unparalleled experience in basic and complex urologic prosthetic surgery.
2. Endourology, Laparoscopy, and Robotic Surgery: Tulane Urology has a long history of being on the cutting edge of minimally invasive urologic surgery, boasting a large series of percutaneous lithotripsy procedures, rigid and flexible ureteroscopy including endopyelotomy, the largest experience of urologic laparoscopy in the entire Gulf South, as well as the oldest and largest experience in urologic robotic surgery. At the present time, Tulane Urology performs over 200 radical prostatectomies per year, is adept at performing robotic radical cystectomies, and has one of the largest series of robotic reconstructive procedures.
3. Urologic Oncology: This section is headed by Jonathan Silberstein. A full range of clinical experience awaits any residents. Not only are residents well versed in advanced robotic and laparoscopic techniques, but also in open surgical interactions. A wide array of research opportunities are also available.
4. Pediatric Urology: Presently, this is exclusively delivered through Children’s Hospital. Dr. Joseph Ortenberg is the program director at Children's Hospital. Children's Hospital is a full service pediatric facility and provides a full spectrum of pediatric urology, including robotic surgery.
5. Urodynamics and Incontinence: This rotation is led by Drs. Ryan Krlin, Pablo Labadie, Wesley Bryan and Ryan Glass. This RRC approved rotation gives the residents a complete training in matters related to urodynamics and incontinence. This RRC approved rotation gives residents a complete training in matters related to urodynamics and incontinence.
The anticipated future expansion of the faculty should further enhance the learning experience of our residents.
Tulane Urology boasts over 3300 square feet of research laboratory space. This space includes a basic research area and Tulane Urology has state-of-the-art equipment, such as its own molecular biology laboratory (with equipment). There is also a specific clinical research office and though research is not mandated every effort is made to provide residents with necessary tools to fulfill any desire that the residents may have to embark on research and hopefully an academic career. Dr. Asim Mageed and Surresh Sikka head our extensive basic research facility.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
Department of Urology, 1430 Tulane Avenue, SL-42, New Orleans, LA 70112 504-988-2750 email@example.com