May 9 - 11, 2017
GPC Training Academy
-Advanced Polymer Monitoring Technologies, Inc.
-Polymer Standards Service
-Brookhaven Instruments Corp.
-International Specialty Products
PolyRMC works closely with Industrial collaborators to help solve complex problems in various polymer manufacturing processes. We use proprietary techniques and technologies such as ACOMP and SMSLS as well as techniques unique to PolyRMC such as ACM and HTDSLS. We couple these with traditional industrial methods such as GPC to formulate a detailed characterization of the polymer being manufactured. From this we prepare an intensive analytical report of our findings with possible solutions to the problem.
The newest focus of PolyRMC is to help diminish the carbon footprint and total energy consumption of the polymer manufacturing industry as a whole. The center envisions accomplishing this through the successful implementation of ACOMP at the industrial level to monitor large-scale polymerizations in real-time.
Deep expertise broadly applicable to applied polymer issues; creativity; advanced instrumentation base; entrepreneurial energy
A track record of success in solving problems:
– gelatin/oligosaccharide phase separation
– characterization of natural products; xanthan, pectin, gum arabic, alginates;
– origin and detection of polymer product anomalies;
– determination of physical/chemical processes in production of copolymers;
– characterization of water soluble polymers for water purification, paints, cosmetics, food;
– development of fiber optic system for rocket motor ignition system continuity testing;
– development of methods and instrumentation for monitoring emulsion and inversion emulsion polymerization;
– stability testing of pharmaceutical solutions;
– monitoring controlled radical polymerization reactions;
– spectral discrimination of multiple acrylic monomers during polymerization
PolyRMC is working on various initiatives to reach out to the polymer manufacturing and natural products sectors across the globe. PolyRMC feels that it has the proprietary technology and expertise to positively impact these sectors.
Fast Turn-around Polymer Characterization
- Reducebottlenecks and lengthy turn around time in workflows.
- PolyRMC characterization collaborations can be used to prioritize and complement each industry's in-house characterization efforts.
- PolyRMC can assist to set standards of quality control and product reproducibility leading to higher efficiency, and thus establishing a means of characterizing and improving new and existing products.
R&D, Product Development, and Problem Solving in the Polymer Industry
- Failure to meet product grade specifications;
- Inconsistency of product quality;
- Product instabilities, such as precipitation, degradation, or phase separation;
- Defects in the products, such as colloids, particulates, and undesirable colors.
PolyRMC is working to identify polymer manufacturers that may benefit from PolyRMC's expertise. Some partners in this initiative are the Manufacturing Extension Partnership of Louisiana (MEPOL) and the Lousiana Chemical Association (LCA). PolyRMC also recently became a member of the Louisiana Chemical Industry Alliance (LCIA). LCA and LCIA president, Dan Borne is a member of the PolyRMC Advisory Board.
Development of Natural Products
- Release of proteins, polysaccharides, and other components during extraction, including enzymatic activation/deactivation processes.
- Monitoring Chemical and physical changes when natural products are modified by chemical, thermal, radiative, or enzymatic treatments.
- Determining the types of micro- and nano structures that can be formed from natural products.
- Measurements of encapsulation and time-release properties of natural products used with pharmacological, food, and other substances.
School of Science and Engineering, 201 Lindy Boggs Center, New Orleans, LA 70118 504-865-5764 firstname.lastname@example.org