Family and Medical Leave

The University is committed to supporting employees in maintaining work and life balance. The leave of absence policies found in the Staff Handbook are designed to support employees in need of time off from work for a qualified leave of absence and to comply with State and Federal leave laws.  

Family and Medical Leave (FMLA) allows up to 12 weeks off, if you have worked for the University for at least 12 months, and have worked at least 975 hours during the 12 months prior to requesting leave generally.

You are eligible for family and medical leave for the following purposes:

  • for the birth and care of your newborn child;
  • for placement of a child with you  for adoption or foster care;
  • to care for your spouse, same-gender domestic partner, child, or parent with a serious health condition;
  • to take medical leave when you are unable to work because of your own serious health condition;
  • any qualifying exigency arising out of the fact that the employee’s spouse, same-gender domestic partner, son, daughter, or parent is a covered military member on “covered active duty;” or
  • twenty-six workweeks of leave during a single 12-month period to care for a covered service member with a serious injury or illness if the eligible employee is the service member’s spouse, same-gender domestic partner, son, daughter, parent, or next of kin (military caregiver leave).

While out on leave, if you are medically disabled an unable to return to work, you may apply for Long Term Disability benefits. When an employee is approved for Long Term Disability benefits, the employee will be eligible for continuation of medical, dental, and vision benefits, in accordance with the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA), and employment ends.

You will need to submit medical documentation. The forms may be obtained from the Office of Human Resources Leave Coordinator.  

For more detailed information, go to the Staff Handbook or contact the Office of Human Resources Leave Coordinator at (504) 865-4748.

HR, University Square, 200 Broadway, Suite 122, New Orleans, LA 70118 504-865-5280