Frequently Asked Questions




Employee Support Services



Student Employment

Tulane University and the Jeanne Clery Act

Tulane University is committed to assisting all members of the community in providing for their own safety and security. 
Annual Security and Fire Safety Report, and more information on the Jeanne Clery Act is available on the TUPD website.



Health and Welfare Benefits

Who is eligible for Benefits?
Your eligibility to participate in University benefit programs depends on your status.  Your employment status must be Regular Full time or Regular Part time with Benefits.  For Regular Part time with Benefits, you must work at least 50% of a full time schedule position to participate in most benefits offered by Tulane. 
Your eligible dependents are:   
″    Your spouse
″    Your same gender domestic partner
″    Dependent, unmarried children up to age 26 for Medical, Dental, Vision and Voluntary Life insurance

When does coverage for Health & Welfare benefits and Tuition Waiver begin?
For Health & Welfare benefits, which include Medical, Dental, Vision, Life and Long-Term Disability insurance, coverage is effective on your date of hire.

For Tuition Waiver, waiting periods apply to Staff employees.  There is a six-month waiting period and service requirement before Full-time benefit-eligible employees may begin participation in the Tuition Waiver Program.  There is a three year waiting period before dependents of Full-time benefit-eligible employees may begin participation in the Tuition Waiver or Tuition Exchange Program.  For Faculty, there is no waiting period for the Faculty member or for their dependents.

Are there any Health & Welfare coverages that are mandatory?
You are required to be enrolled in one of the University's Medical plans.  However, if you have other Medical coverage, you must provide documentation within the first 30 days of your hire date that provides proof of other coverage. If you waive Medical coverage on the enrollment form and do not provide proof of other coverage, you will automatically be enrolled in the Low Option Medical plan.  In addition, you are automatically enrolled in Basic Life and Long-Term Disability insurance plans.

How do I pay my share of benefits?
The cost of all employee benefits is paid through payroll deduction. Benefit contributions that are eligible for pretax deduction reduce your taxable income. Benefit plans eligible for pre-tax deduction are Medical, Dental and Vision insurance, the Tax Deferred Annuity plan and the Flexible Spending Accounts.  The cost of parking passes will also be deducted on a pretax basis when paid through payroll deduction.

How do I pay my share of benefits when I am on an unpaid leave of absence?
You will be billed by our outside administrator. Failure to pay your premiums will result in coverage being cancelled.

When is the annual enrollment period?
You have the opportunity to enroll or change your benefit elections on an annual basis in the fall each year for coverage that becomes effective the following January 1.  Each year, you will receive instructions and information in the Open Enrollment announcement prior to the enrollment period.

<< Back to top

Can I change my benefit elections outside of the annual enrollment period?
A "Status Change" permits you to modify elections after the Plan Year has begun and otherwise outside the annual enrollment period. Status Changes can only be made under certain circumstances. The requested change must be consistent with and directly related to the Status Change event. Additionally, it must be requested no later than 31 days after the date of the event for the change request to be accepted.  This time limit allows our plan to be offered within Internal Revenue Code guidelines.  For example, if you get married, you may add your spouse to your Medical plan within 31 days of your marriage, but not later.

Examples of Status Changes include:
″    Marriage
″    Annulment of marriage
″    Divorce
″    Legal separation
″    Death of a spouse or dependent
″    Birth of a child
″    Adoption or placement of a child for adoption
″    Change in your dependent child's status (reaches the age limit for coverage, gets married, gains or loses full-time student status)
″    Change of spouse's employment that affects their coverage
″    Gain or loss of eligibility due to change in employment status of you or your spouse
″    Significant change in spouse's coverage due to his or her employment or an open enrollment period that is different from Tulane's
″    Gain or loss of dependent eligibility for coverage

Do I have to re-enroll in the Healthcare and/or Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) every year?

Yes.  Your FSA elections do not roll over from year to year.

How can I get a list of network providers for Medical, Dental and Vision insurance?

Our current vendors each have their own search tool on their web site.  Please refer to the Benefit Contact section of the Benefits Guide.

Do I receive an I.D. card for Medical, Dental and Vision insurance?


How does my dental provider verify my eligibility and benefits?
Our current vendor is Delta Dental and their contact information is on our website at 800-521-2651.

Do I have to provide Social Security numbers for my spouse and children?

Yes, if you are enrolled in our Medical plan.  Federal law requires that you provide Social Security numbers for all enrolled members.

I turn age 65 next year.  Do I have to enroll in Medicare?

No; however, you should weigh the pros and cons of remaining on Tulane's Medical coverage, including that the cost for Medicare Part B increases each year if you do not enroll when first eligible.  Please contact the Social Security Administration for more information.

Do I need to designate a beneficiary?
Yes, even if you don't enroll in Supplemental Life, the University provides Basic Life insurance and the University Death Benefit.

<< Back to top

What is the difference between a Primary and Contingent beneficiary?
Primary beneficiaries receive the proceeds of your Life and AD&D insurance in the event of your death. Contingent beneficiaries receive the proceeds of your Life and AD&D insurance in the event of your death and there are no living Primary beneficiaries.

How do I file a Long-Term Disability claim?
If you have a disabling illness or injury that is expected to last longer than 90 days, you can file a Long-Term Disability claim by going to the Forms section of the WFMO web site. There is an Employee Statement and Attending Physicians Statement that must be completed and mailed directly to the address of the first page of the form; do not send these forms to WFMO.  WFMO will complete the Employer Statement directly with the insurance carrier.

Am I eligible to accrue vacation and sick leave?
Staff employees should refer to the "Leaves, Holidays and Time Away from Work" section of the Staff Handbook. The Staff handbook also indicates the accrual schedule.

What are the officially recognized University holidays?
The University's Holiday Calendar may be found in the blue column on the Workforce Management Organization web site home page.

How are my current benefit elections affected if I leave the University?
What coverage can I continue?  How much will it cost?

Please refer to the Benefits Guide for Former Employees for details.
How do I register my same gender domestic partner?
To enroll your same gender domestic partner in Tulane University benefit plans, you must submit documentation to the University that substantiates your partnership including the Domestic Partner Affidavit. 

<< Back to top

Tuition Waiver Program

What is covered under the Tuition Waiver Program?
The Program covers Regular Tuition Waiver for undergraduate courses and the Graduate Tuition Waiver for graduate level courses.  These are discussed separately below.

For Active Employees:  Regular Tuition Waiver

Who is Eligible for Regular Tuition Waiver?

″    Full-time regular Staff employees that have completed the six month waiting period.  Full-time regular Faculty employees are also eligible but do not have a waiting period.
″    A biological, adopted, or stepchild of a full time regular employee or full time regular Faculty member who are claimed on the employee's Federal Income tax filing.
″    The spouse or Domestic Partner of a full-time Staff employee that has completed the three year waiting period.   The spouse or Domestic Partner of full-time regular Faculty employees do not have a waiting period.
″    The spouse is defined as the person to whom the employee is currently legally married.

Who is not eligible for Regular Tuition Waiver?
″    Employees whose status is "Part-time" whether Staff or Faculty.
″    Employees whose status is "Temporary Full" or "Temporary Part-time."
″    Student employees, including medical residents.

For Active Employees:  Graduate Tuition Waiver

Who is Eligible for Graduate Tuition Waiver?
″    Full-time regular Staff or Faculty employees who have completed the appropriate waiting periods.

Who is not eligible for Graduate Tuition Waiver?
″    Employees whose status is "Part-time" whether Staff or Faculty.
″    Employees whose status is "Temporary Full or Part-time."
″    Spouses, Domestic Partners and dependents.
″    Student employees, including medical residents.
What is the Waiting Period for the Tuition Waiver Program?
For Staff:  You must complete your six month probationary period. Your dependents may participate after you have completed three years of full time employment.   You must submit proof of dependency by submitting a copy of your most recent Federal Income Tax Return to Workforce Management.  Once processed, the waiver can be credited to your student account.

For Faculty:  You have no waiting period. You may participate on their date of hire. Your dependents may also participate upon your date of hire.   You must submit proof of dependency by submitting a copy of your most recent Federal Income Tax Return to Workforce Management.  Once processed, the Tuition Waiver can be credited to your student account.

<< Back to top

What programs are not eligible for the Tuition Waiver Program?
″    Classes previously taken in which you received a grade and credit.
″    The Executive Master of Business Administration
″    Tulane Junior Summer Lyric Theatre
″    Freeman Summer School Abroad
″    Master of Liberal Arts
″    Executive Masters of Health and Administration
″    Executive Master of Medical Management
″    Civic and Cultural Management Program
″    Master of Science in Pharmacology
″    Master of Science in Cell and Molecular Biology
″    Master of Science in Neuroscience
″    Workshops or non-credit seminars
″    Graduate level courses for dependents or spouses.

Are there limitations on the Tuition Waiver Program?

″    Employees can receive a Tuition Waiver for a maximum of two (2) courses or six (6) hours, whichever is greater and regardless of sessions. Any of the summer sessions are considered a semester.   This limitation does not apply to eligible spouses and dependent children.  Dependents may be part-time or full-time students.  (However, part-time status may affect other scholarships and grants, therefore, students should check with the Office of Financial Aid.)
″    If a spouse or a dependent child of an employee is hired by Tulane University, they will have their eligibility and class limitation for Tuition Waivers determined exclusively on the basis of their employment
″    If the person enrolled becomes ineligible for the Tuition Waiver as a result of the employee's voluntary termination of employment or due to gross misconduct at any time during the semester, the former employee will be charged for the full tuition amount for that semester.

For Inactive Employee:  Extended Tuition Waiver

Who is eligible for Extended Tuition Waiver?
″    Employees who terminate with at least 25 years of full-time service at Tulane who completely sever their employment relationship with Tulane University.
″    Employees who have been approved as disabled under the Tulane Long Term Disability Plan and have at least 5 years of full-time service at Tulane at the time of the disability.
″    Employees enrolled in Tuition Waiver at the time of the disability that have been approved and accepted as disabled under the Tulane Long Term Disability Plan, with less than 5 years of full-time service at Tulane.
″    Faculty members whose tenure is terminated under extraordinary circumstances, caused by financial exigencies, or by a bona fide discontinuance of a program or a department of instruction.
″    The spouse and dependent children of a terminated employee with 25 years full-time service.
″    The spouse and dependent children of a disabled employee with at least 5 years service.
″    Dependents and spouses that are enrolled on a Tuition Waiver basis at the time of an employee's death or disability before completing 5 years of full-time service at Tulane.
″    The spouse and dependent children of an employee who has at least 5 years of full-time service at Tulane who dies. The spouse of a deceased employee becomes ineligible for an extended Tuition Waiver when he or she remarries.

The total number of annual Tuition Waivers available to an eligible employee, spouse and dependent children as a group is equal to the number of years of full-time service by the employee, including the academic year in which the retirement, disability or death occurs.

<< Back to top

Can one waiver pay for three semesters each year?
No. A Tuition Waiver application form must be completed each semester in which enrollment is requested. This form must be submitted to Workforce Management on or before the last day of late registration. Eligibility for Tuition Waivers is determined when an Application for Tuition Waiver is submitted.

What happens if I drop a course?
In the event an eligible person drops a course subsequent to the deadline for drop/add, the employee will be charged a $50.00 per class Drop Fee.

Do I have to report my Tuition Waiver on my taxes? 
″    For undergraduate classes:  Tuition waivers for undergraduate study are treated as non-taxable scholarships. 
″    For graduate classes:  You may have to pay additional taxes if the total value of graduate-level Tuition Waivers for a calendar year (spring, summer, and fall) exceeds $5,250. If you will have taxable income from your tuition benefit, you should adjust your withholdings (Federal Withholding W-4 Form and Louisiana L-4 Form) and submit them to Workforce Management. The IRS considers this amount taxable income. The University is responsible for collecting the taxes on the excess amount and will take the amount over the course of the year to minimize the impact of the taxes withheld for this additional income.

When I submit my waiver online, will the credit show on my account right away?

No.  Depending on the date you submit your waiver, the credit may not appear on your account until the end of the month.  Please allow 30 days for posting.

For Dependents using Tuition Waiver, if you have submitted proof of dependency to Workforce Management, your waiver will be posted once your most recent Federal Income Tax Return is received. 

Should I pay my fees after the Tuition Waiver is posted?
No, do not wait to pay your fees.  Finance charges will accrue on the account and will be your responsibility.  Only finance charges attributed to tuition may be reduced or removed, with proper approvals, because the waiver did not post to your account in time.

Are dependents limited to 2 classes or 6 hours?
No.  Dependents can attend full-time or part-time and continue to utilize the Tuition Waiver.  However, if the student is part-time it may reduce additional financial aid.  The student should contact the Office of Financial Aid to determine if they are required to take a certain number of classes.  The student may also want to keep in mind that future Tuition Waivers are dependent upon their parent or spouse's employment status.  The student will not be eligible if the parent/spouse's employment ends and the parent/spouse is not eligible to receive extended Tuition Waiver benefits described above.

<< Back to top

Retirement Benefits

What Retirement Plans are offered at Tulane?
You may contribute toward a voluntary 403(b) Tax Deferred Annuity. The University also provides a retirement benefit to you through our Retirement Plans.

Who are the retirement fund sponsors for the Retirement plans and the Tax Deferred Annuity plan?
Fidelity Investments and TIAA-CREF.

Can I roll over funds from my previous employer into my Tulane Retirement Plan?

No, our plan does not allow this.

How often can I change my contribution to the Tax Deferred Annuity plan?
Once per month.

When can I change my fund allocations in my Retirement plan or Tax Deferred Annuity plan?
In general, you can change the allocation of your portfolio as often as you like; however, there may be fees associated with early withdrawals.  Fidelity Investments and TIAA-CREF each have an online web-based tool for you to enroll in the plan. If you do not have access to the web sites, you may contact the company and they will send you a form to change your allocation.

<< Back to top

Must I name my spouse as my beneficiary?
Yes, your spouse must be named the beneficiary of at least 50% of your account.

When will I be vested in the Retirement and Tax Deferred Annuity plans?
You are always 100% vested in these plans.

Am I required to make contributions to the Faculty or Staff Retirement plans?

Only Faculty and Administrative Officers are required to make contributions if their annual salary is equal to or more than $80,000. Faculty and Administrative Officers are not required to make contributions if their annual salary is less than $80,000; however, if you voluntarily contribute 2% of salary the University will match this amount.

When can I enroll in the Retirement plan?

You generally must wait two years (having worked a minimum of 975 hours in each year) before you are eligible to participate in the Retirement plan.

Will the University make back contributions to my Retirement plan if I forget sign up when I become eligible?
No, your account is established and contributions made on a prospective basis.

Does the University contribute to the Tax Deferred Annuity plan?

The University does not contribute to the Tax Deferred Annuity plan.

How much can I save?
For 2012, the IRS limitation for pretax contributions to the Tax Deferred Annuity plan is $17,000. In addition you may make catch-up contributions of up to $5,500 to the Tax Deferred Annuity plan if you are age 50 or over.

Can I take a loan from the Tax Deferred Annuity plan?
Yes if you have a TIAA-CREF account; loans are not available through Fidelity.  Loans are not available under the University-paid Retirement plans.

<< Back to top


Who prepares job descriptions?
Job descriptions are defined by leadership within the department in which the position resides.

How do I prepare a job description?
The "Guidelines for Writing Job Descriptions" document can be of assistance in preparing the description.

Do I have to sign my job description?
Staff employees must sign their job description as a condition of employment.

To which pay grade is my position assigned?
An employee may direct this inquiry to his/her manager.

When are merit increases granted?
When funds are available, increases are effective on July 1, the first day of the University's fiscal year.

How frequently is the University's salary structure adjusted?
Administration reviews the salary structure periodically as recommended by Compensation, and adjustments are made as they are approved and funded.

How are jobs classified?
Compensation Administration analyzes jobs using a variety of compensable factors. The results of the analysis are then translated into a pay grade.

<< Back to top

What should I do if I want to reclassify a job?
Detailed instructions can be found in the Compensation Resource Guide. Specific questions should be addressed to a member of the Compensation team.

What is the Fair Labor Standards Act and what does being "nonexempt" mean? 
Refer to the Employment Classification and Information – Employment Classification section of the Staff Handbook.

How should time sheets be completed?
Refer to the Employee Responsibilities – Timekeeping section of the Staff Handbook.

How do I calculate time worked?
Time worked is considered to be all hours an employee is on duty or at a prescribed place of work and any time that an employee is authorized by their manager to work.

What is considered overtime and what is overtime pay?
Refer to the Compensation – Overtime section of the Staff Handbook.

Can an employee decide to waive payment of his/her overtime?
No, the overtime requirement may not be waived under any circumstances.

<< Back to top

Is an employee required to obtain his/her supervisor's approval prior to working overtime?
Yes, an employee must receive permission prior to working overtime.

An employee worked overtime without my knowledge as manager.  Do I have to pay the employee for time worked?
Yes, nonexempt employees must be compensated for all overtime hours worked. Since this is a violation of University policy, managers must address the working of unauthorized overtime through the University's Progressive Discipline Policy.

Can a nonexempt employee work from home?
The University has no telecommuting policy permitting employees to work from home.

How can overtime costs be controlled?
Managers may pursue one of the following options to reduce or eliminate overtime costs:

  • Monitor work performed to ensure that employees are working as efficiently and productively as possible during the work day.
  • Assess internal operations with a goal of redistributing work loads more evenly.
  • Modify work week schedules to offset any overtime worked in a single work week period.
  • Determine if the value derived from the provision of certain functions justify the costs associated with   supporting such services.

What is call-back pay?
Refer to the Departmental Pay Practices section of the Staff Handbook.

Can a non-exempt employee receive a one-time payment for additional work performed or as a bonus?
Refer to the Compensation Resource Guide.

<< Back to top

How should a non-exempt employee be compensated if s/he works on a holiday?
Refer to the Pay for University Holidays section of the Staff Handbook.

Can a nonexempt employee work for another department in a similar or different capacity?
Departments or employees should contact Compensation Administration for guidance prior to entering these types of arrangements. 

Are nonexempt employees entitled to breaks or rest periods?
Refer to the Breaks section of the Staff Handbook.

Are meal periods considered worked time?
Refer to the Breaks section of the Staff Handbook.

If an employee is not allowed to leave the University's premises while having lunch, is this meal time considered work time?
Refer to the Breaks section of the Staff Handbook.

What is the University's on-call policy?
Refer to the Departmental Pay Practices section of the Staff Handbook.

 << Back to top

Employee Support Services

If I do not have enough sick and vacation time to cover my FMLA leave, what are my options?
Tulane offers a Vacation Transfer Pool designed to make additional paid leave available to staff employees who experience medical emergencies. To see if you are eligible and that there are hours available for transfer, contact WFMO.

Is there a cap on the hours available from the Vacation Transfer Pool?
A recipient is only eligible to receive hours from the Vacation Transfer pool while on a certified FMLA leave.  The duration of FMLA leave is typically capped at 12 weeks.

How many hours are available for transfer from the Vacation Transfer Pool?
The hours available in the Vacation Transfer Pool have been donated by employees that have reached the cap in vacation hours. If you have excess vacation hours and would like to donate to the Vacation Transfer Pool, contact WFMO. 

How do I qualify for FMLA leave?
You may qualify for FMLA leave if you have worked for the University for at least 12 months, have worked at least 975 hours during the 12 months prior to requesting leave, and work at a location where there are at least 50 Tulane employees within 75 miles.

What reasons qualify for time off for FMLA leave?
You may apply for FMLA leave for the following reasons:

  • for the birth and care of your newborn child;
  • for placement of a child with you for adoption or foster care;
  • to care for your spouse, child, or parent with a serious health condition;
  • for your own serious health condition; or
  • for qualifying exigencies arising out of the fact that your spouse, child, or parent is on active duty or call to active duty status as a member of the National Guard or Reserves.

If I have to be out only partial days or sporadic days do I qualify for FMLA leave?
You may qualify for Intermittent FMLA leave. This leave entitles you to 12 weeks off in a 12 month period looking back from the date the leave starts.

I am out on Workers' Compensation due to an on-the-job injury, do I still have to file for FMLA leave?
Yes, FMLA leave runs concurrent with Workers' Compensation. You must fill out FMLA leave forms while you are out on Workers' Compensation.

<< Back to top



How can I find out how many vacation and sick days I have accrued?
Vacation and sick balances are shown on your pay stub once you have completed your introductory period of employment. This balance does not include any vacation or sick time taken during the last pay period.

Where do I get a blank time sheet?
Blank time sheets (monthly and bi-weekly) for new employees are available on the WFMO Forms page. Current employees should use the pre-printed timesheets delivered with pay stubs.

Does Tulane hold back pay?
Monthly employees are paid current. Example: when you receive your paycheck for the month of June, you are being paid for the period June 1st through June 30th, including any adjustments from the previous month (overtime, vacation, etc.) Bi-weekly employees are paid in one week in arrears. Paychecks received on Friday represent payment for fourteen calendar days ending the previous Thursday. Semi-monthly employees are paid current as Monthly employees.

When will my direct deposit become effective?
It will be effective the first available pay period after Payroll receives your signed direct deposit form.

What is LTD and why is it deducted from my paycheck?
LTD stands for Long Term Disability Insurance. All Tulane employees are required to participate in the Long Term Disability Plan. Premiums will be deducted from your paycheck. Contact the Benefits section of the WFMO concerning policy provisions.

Am I paid for my unused vacation and sick time when I leave the University?
If you leave the University after six months of continuous service, you will receive pay for unused vacation time up to a maximum of two times of your annual accrual. You will not be paid for unused sick time.

I am terminating my employment with the University, how will I receive my final paycheck?
Your final paycheck will be deposited to your bank account of record.

<< Back to top


What are FICA- OASDI and FICA-HI on my pay stub?
FICA stands for the Federal Insurance Contributions Act and is administered by the Social Security Administration. FICA payroll taxes have two components: Old Age and Supervisors Disability Insurance (OASDI) and Medicare (HI).

  • OASDI: the maximum annual contribution for this insurance in 2010 is $6,621.60 or 6.2% of your earnings up to $106,800.
  • HI: there is no maximum annual contribution and the rate is 1.45% of your earnings.

Why is my Federal taxable income different than the year-to-date income on my pay stub?
Year-to-date income is gross income before all deductions and taxes. Federal taxable income is income subject to Federal income taxes. Since Health insurance, Parking, Retirement Contributions and Flexible Spending are not subject to Federal income taxes and therefore are excluded from your taxable income.  

Why are Medicare/Social Security wages different than my Federal taxable income?
Retirement contributions are subject to Social Security tax but not subject to Federal income tax. Therefore, you need to add your 403(b) deduction back to your federal taxable income to arrive at Medicare/Social Security wages.

<< Back to top

Foreign Nationals

What paperwork must all foreign nationals complete?
All foreign nationals must submit first name, last name and e-mail address to the International Tax Office in order to gain access to Glacier, international tax system. Once access is granted, Foreign Nationals should enter their information in Glacier, print the Tax Summary Report, sign it and submit this report along with all forms listed on this report to their supervisor who will then submit it to the International Tax Office.

Is there any exemption from taxation?
All payments are subject to federal income tax withholding unless they are specifically exempted by either U.S. tax law or by an income tax treaty. A social security number must be obtained for the treaty benefit. A broad social security tax exemption exists for all nonresident foreign national F-1, J-1, M-1 and Q-1 visa holders who are performing services to carry out the primary purpose of the visa issuance.

What is a nonresident?
A Nonresident Alien is an individual who has not met the substantial presence test (SPT) based on the number of days physically present in the U.S. A student under a F1/J1 visa is generally considered a nonresident alien for the first 5 calendar years he or she is present in the U.S. A J1 non-student visa holder is generally considered a nonresident alien for the first 2 calendar years he or she is present in the U.S.

What is the tax rate?
Payments requiring federal income tax withholding are taxed at graduated withholding rates.

How many exemptions can I claim on W-4 form?
Non-resident aliens are allowed to claim Single with one exemption on their W-4 forms regardless of their marital status and/or number of dependents.

Is tax withholding required?
Section 1441 of the Internal Revenue code requires withholding federal tax at the statutory rates for all individuals deemed to be nonresident.

<< Back to top


Can I review my official HR file?
Yes, once annually, but the employee must make an appointment to do so by contacting the Records team.

Can my manager review my official HR file?
Yes, after discussing the request with a member of the Employee Support Services team and making an appointment to do so with a member of the Records team.

Is information in my official HR file shared with prospective employers or other departments?
The appropriate hiring manager of another Tulane department with a job opening for which an employee has applied may inquire as to a candidate's past performance evaluations and disciplinary matters.

Can I get copies of the information contained in my official HR file?  
Official employee personnel files are the property of Tulane University and will not be copied for employees or their managers.

I need to have my title, salary, or other confidential information provided to a third party outside of Tulane University. What do I do?
Employees must expressly authorize WFMO to release their confidential information. The employee's signature of authorization must appear on an official document, such as a request for verification of employment, loan application, etc. Click here for the Employment Verification page.

If I want to request an official audit of my sick leave or vacation accrual, what do I have to do?
The employee should first try to resolve the discrepancy with his/her departmental administrator or timekeeper to ensure proper deductions have been recorded. If an actual audit is deemed necessary, the employee should send a written request to Payroll.

<< Back to top

Student Employment

What is Federal Work-Study?

Federal Work-Study is a program that provides jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial needs.

How do I apply for Federal Work-Study? 
Contact the Financial Aid Office at (504) 865-5123.

How much is my Federal Work-Study award?
Contact the Financial Aid Office at (504) 865-5123.

I am an international student. Can I get Federal Work-Study?

No, international students are not eligible for Federal Work-Study.

I am an international student. Can I work off campus?
No. International student are allowed to work on-campus only. Please contact the Center for International Studies Office for further information at (504) 865-5208.

I am an incoming freshman. How do I apply for a job?
Go to Under the heading "STUDENT" in the drop down list, click on "Find a Job" or "Find an Internship." Choose the College Central Networking system icon (part-time student jobs) and follow the instructions. 

What kind of jobs can I apply for?
There are various jobs posted: Administrative Aide, Clerical Aid, Lab Aid, Student Researcher, Lifeguard, Childcare, Community Service Tutor (paid), Public Safety Assistant, General Aide, Computer Tech, Library Aide and more.

Can I apply for off-campus jobs?
Yes. You can apply at

Can I have 2 Federal Work-Study jobs?

Can I have a Federal Work-Study and a non Federal Work-Study job?

How do I apply for the Community Service Program?
Contact Workforce Management (504) 865-5280. 

What paperwork do I have to fill out to get paid?
(I-9 and supporting documents, W-4, L-4, PPI and Direct Deposit form with voided check), additional documents are required for International students. The hiring supervisor will provide the necessary paperwork and instructions for the student worker to follow. 

How do I get paid and do I need Direct Deposit to get paid from my Federal Work-Study job?
Your pay is directly deposited into the financial Institution of your choice. Direct Deposit is mandatory. 

How much do I get paid?
The pay range varies depending on job duties and responsibilities. 

How often do I get paid?
Bi-weekly (every 2 weeks).

Do my paychecks go to Accounts Receivable toward my bill?
No. Your pay is directly deposited into the financial Institution of your choice.  

How many hours can I work per week?
20 hours or less is recommended, in order that the student can focus primarily on their academics. Most students work between 5-10 or 15- 20 hours per week, depending on the student's class schedule. 

What about overtime and holiday pay?
Student employees are eligible for overtime if they work over 40 hours per week but are not eligible for holiday pay.

Is there a departmental dress code?
Some departments require professional/casual dress.

Can I create my own work schedule?
Most departments are willing to accommodate the student's schedule. Some departments have set hours.

Why are Louisiana state taxes being taken out of my paycheck?
Contact the Payroll Office at (504) 865-5280.

How much taxes will be taken out of my paycheck?
Contact the Payroll Office at (504) 865-5280.

Do I receive form W-2 at the end of the year?
Yes. Your W-2 will be mailed to the address listed on your PPI (Payroll & Personal Information) document.

Why am I not getting paid anymore?

Contact your immediate supervisor.

What do I do if I run out of Federal Work-Study?

You and your supervisor are responsible for monitoring your FWS earnings. It is up to the department to pay 100% of your hourly wages if you have depleted your FWS award. 

How can I increase my Federal Work-Study?
Contact the Financial Aid Office at (504) 865-5123.

What do I need to do if I want to work in the summer?

Federal Work-Study students should contact the Financial Aid Office at (504) 865-5123 and complete an Addendum. 

Can I switch jobs if I don't like my current job?
Yes, but you must be terminated from one department before you can work for another department. 

What if I don't have the necessary I-9 documents required to work? 
The Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, is a mandate of Homeland Security. You must make every possible attempt to obtain these necessary documents in order for employment authorization. Employment cannot be authorized without the Form I-9 and supporting documents. 

How do I apply for a social security card?

<< Back to top

HR, University Square, 200 Broadway, Suite 122, New Orleans, LA 70118 504-865-5280