Mussafer Hall



Mussafer Hall will be the result of a renovation of and addition to building 9, located on Tulane University’s historic front campus among majestic live oak trees. The original building was designed by Andry and Bendernagel and was built in 1902 by Toledano and Wogan Contractors. Built in the Dutch Renaissance style, it was originally Tulane’s first dormitory, Richardson Dormitory, and was modeled after the Houston Hall at the University of Pennsylvania. It later became the Social Sciences Building and also housed Arts and Sciences classrooms. It most recently housed the School of Social Work, which relocated to 127 Elk Place in August of 2014.

Now vacated, the building is anticipated to be transformed into Mussafer Hall to provide a new combined home for the Academic Advising Center, Career Services and the Success Center. By collocating these three departments adjacent to Cudd Hall, the administrative building for the Newcomb-Tulane Undergraduate College and the Center for Public Service in Alcee Fortier Hall, a number of undergraduate academic services will be centralized on the edge of a single quad. Sized to provide room for growth, the project will accommodate academic support staff for the growing student body that has continued to surpass pre-Katrina enrollment.

Meant to draw students to the building, the project’s proposed addition will be sensitive to, but architecturally distinct from, the historic structure and surrounding site. The project will include much needed interior upgrades to the existing building while preserving the overall character of the historic structure. In an effort to increase meeting, gathering and study spaces on the front campus, and open the building up to university constituents and visitors alike, gathering spaces will be included in the design both inside and outside the building. The project will also be sensitive to the environment, with a university minimum of LEED Silver certification expected.

LEED Information

TBD

Quick Facts

  • The project will accommodate enough offices and support space to house Academic Advising, Career Services and the Academic Success Center in one building.
  • Total project area is 23,300 square feet (15,700 SF renovation; 7,600 SF addition) distributed throughout 3 floors in both the addition and the existing building.
  • The addition will include a flexible multi-purpose room with adjacent outdoor spaces for the different types of events hosted by the centers.
  • The original building was built in 1902 as Richardson Dormitory, later housing the School of Social Work.

Project Teams

Planning Team
Sofia Estalles – Project Coordinator, University Planning Office

studioWTA - Planning Consultant

Design Team
Alex Ratliff – Project Coordinator, Capital Projects - Design Services
 
studioWTA - Architect
Shrenk, Endom & Flanagan - Civil/Structural Engineer
GVA Engineering - MEP + Fire Protection
Green Coast Enterprise - LEED Consultant
Spackman, Mossop & Michaels - Landscape Architect
Rick Fifield Architect - Historic Preservation Consultant
FH Myers - Cost Estimator

Construction Team
Kristian Towles - Project Manager, Planning, Design and Construction
Salvador DiVincenti - Construction Coordinator, Planning, Design and Construction